• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canvas that doesn't "crack"?

CropMarks

Hello, I've searched and can find nothing on the site about this. Does anyone know of a canvas material that doesn't "crack" when you stretch it? Meaning... on the edges of the stretched print (see attached picture). The one that I have tried (sihl) seems to crack really bad on what appears to be the coating on the media. I'm printing with a Roland SJ540. The attached picture isn't the best example, but you'll get the idea. Thank you very much for any leads! Miked.

Attachments

• Photo Jan 27, 11 57 17 AM.jpg
    Photo Jan 27, 11 57 17 AM.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 157

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Kevin is correct this stuff is great! Here is the sizing on it, if you need any pricing just let me know.

GFCVM-30 Matte Canvas (30x40') 17mil - Acid-free, Water-resistant
GFCVM-36 Matte Canvas (36x75') 17mil - Acid-free, Water-resistant
GFCVM-50 Matte Canvas (50x75') 17mil - Acid-free, Water-resistant
GFCVM-54 Matte Canvas (54x75') 17mil - Acid-free, Water-resistant
GFCVM-60 Matte Canvas (60x75') 17mil - Acid-free, Water-resistant
GFCVM-72 Matte Canvas (72x75') 17mil - Acid-free, Water-resistant -

Last edited:

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
All canvas (painted or printed) will crack to a degree on such a harsh edge. slightly rounder edges will help, so will preparing the surface of the canvas with a surface treatment (any sort of archival quality clear coat will do) and it will help provide some surface tension to prevent cracking. ... that looks like an aqueous print ... so here is the deal on that ... they coat aqueous canvas with a surface to be inkjet receptive ... you'll need to get a spray on varnish that when the surface is flat will help that stretching ... will still crack, but the varnish will hold it together to hide it, follow up with a finish coat of varnish and your done. You can do the same thing with a high quality can of clear spray paint if it's not an art print ... doesn't need to be thick either. .. and if it's aqueous will seal in the painting a little more so dust won't ruin the print.

Edit, looked it up ... eco solvent right? still clear coat ... will still do wonders. ... just go for a varnish ... something ment for acrylics will do better as the acetone in most other spray on clear coats will eat the ink.

CropMarks

thanks everyone! I'll give the "experimenting" with different coatings first since I have almost a full roll. If that doesn't work, I'll check into that media that you guys mentioned.

Clear Choice

Sigh...this art canvas printing was sounding neat....

BUT, in today's sales circulars, Wally-World and also one
of the Big Box Pharmacies are offering canvas prints
mounted "gallery style" - $20 for an 11x14",
$25 for a 16x20".

What's next....drive thru tattoos?

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
pft, I paid for my large format at home by offering other artists roll printing at $20 a linear foot ... no mounting ... it is why you don't buy steak at walmart ... quallity will be ****.