• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canvas Wrap Help Needed

Creative Soul

I have a client that wants me to create and print several large canvas wrapped picture to hang in their office. I have never done canvas printing. Any suggestions on best material to run through my Roland 540? Also any tips or sites that sell the wood parts to make the wrap process easy?

Thanks for any help.

Stephen

James Chrimes

Most craft supply stores will carry strecher bars. Youtube will have videos on how to streche the canvas. If the client wants more of a real painting look, print on any canvas, strech then coat with gesso medium using a paint brush. Make the strokes like you are painting over the original art. It will dry clear and give you the feel of real paint.

mnapuran

We don't use stretcher bars... build our own frames out of 1x2 poplar. To each their own of course.

iprint

Just print on phototex and wrap it around 1/2" Ultraboard making sure you tuck your corners in real nice. Very easy if you do not want to run to the art/craft store to buy stretcher bars. I have stretched canvas as well and they do look nice too.

klingsdesigns

I print on Monet Canvas from fellers i have a vp 540 and love the stuff.. make frames out of 1x2 select board.. and stretch it with my hands.. lots of videos on youtube. Or you can get stretcher bars. Never had a problem with the canvas material.

JoeBoomer

I print on Monet Canvas (HP L26500 or HP 9000 Printer). Then I buy stretcher bars from the local craft store. Then I just pull it tight and staple into the back of the frame. Super easy, super cheap, super awesome! I really just stumbled through the first one or two and now, it is super easy. Don't over-think it.

Creative Soul

You guys are great.

I LOVE this forum! Any question and so many people willing to help. Thanks to all for the tips and advice. Now I can move forward.

Stephen

tsgstl

I have done them on various artist canvas type material and have them glued to foam board then framed. If your framing it no need to stretch it. No glass then have protection applied like described if it has glass then no need. Rich business owners will pay extremely well for pieces, usually family or property pics. They won't bat a eye to drop twice what they complain about spending for my other services.

phototec

I like LexJet Sunset Select Satin Canvas for photo printing and art-reproduction for eco-solvent printers. The lustrous, satin surface of this canvas supports a high level of quality for both photo murals and large-scale art reproductions, even at the higher output speeds.

http://www.lexjet.com/p-3387-lexjet-sunset-select-satin-canvas-suv.aspx

I build my own gallery wrap frames by cutting down 1x4's on a table saw, it's not a big deal and I can make any size I need. My finished frame is 3/4" x 1-1/4" which gives a nice wrapped effect, but not over bearing. The one part to remember is to bevel the edge of the frame about 3° that goes towards the front, so the edge does not telegraph (show) on the front of the finished wrap (see drawing below). I

After running the 1x4 through the table saw and making the frame profile as shown in the drawing below, I miter cut the pieces as you would a picture frame, put a dab on wood glue on the joints, and secure with a small brad nailer.

After the frame is complete, I stretch the canvas over the frame and secure on the back with 1/2" staples, add a small "D" ring for a mounting wire and it's done.

:wavingflag:

Attachments

• Gallery Wrap back.jpg
    Gallery Wrap back.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 143
  • Homemade frame.pdf
    235.9 KB · Views: 128