Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capping station just replaced and pads already swolen again

Discussion in 'Mutoh' started by signsbykacie, Jul 19, 2010.

1. signsbykacie

signsbykacie Member

Apr 10, 2009
    dfw
    I just replaced my capping station 3 days ago because the pads were all swollen, and it was printing terribly... After I replaced it and got everything cleaned it printed great for about 3 days now the colors are mixing together and the pads are already swollen.... Any ideas what it could be that is making the capping staion go bad so fast? I had just replaced it a couple months ago and it only took it about a month to start swelling up, now only 3 days?

Tags:
  2. bmatlock5

bmatlock5 Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Tennessee
    should be plenty of reading material on here about your problem

3. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Let me guess.. you're using aftermarket inks?

4. tomence

tomence Very Active Member

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
    I bet he is using OEM inks.

5. CheapVehicleWrap

Dec 2, 2008
    ohh yeah... the new formula.

6. SlightlyChilled

SlightlyChilled Very Active Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Hell
    well I was told that mutoh was testing it for 3 weeks and they found nothing they think we are all crazy.

7. psbc2009

psbc2009 Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Ohio
    Same problem here with oem inks. Mutoh requested that I ship my "problem ink" to them so they can evaluate.

8. CheapVehicleWrap

Dec 2, 2008
  9. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    i litteraly just bought my fifth mutoh printer in two years today.

i have not seen the problem that you have. i would almost think that there is something unique to your printer.

we sent one of ours back on a warranty for a banding issue that COULD NOT be fixed. the tech was out here like 6 times and replaced EVERYTHING!

nothing fixed it. sometimes, there are lemons.

and i will tell you this. mutoh stepped up to the plate, and sent me a brand new head unit. lucky for me, i had another one in service that kept me going (we run with a minimum of two at all times). we would have been screwed if we had down time over two months trying to figure out what was wrong which they never did, BUT they did send me a new one that works great. so kudos to them.

10. signsbykacie

signsbykacie Member

Apr 10, 2009
    dfw
    I am using OEM inks... I read about people having problems with their capping stations, and about the new ink formula... Any suggestions on what I should do? Should I buy different ink? So it isn't another problem on my printer making my capping station do this?

11. ProWraps

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    dont fix what aint broken.

12. tomence

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
    Switch to Roland thats what we should do, thats what i would do next. I have a Roland and a Mutoh. Working on the Roland is piece of cake, but working on the Mutoh is a pain in the a$$. They couldn't make this crap of a printer more complicated.

13. ProWraps

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    really? mutohs are the VW of the printer world. cheap and easy, just like mosh's women.

14. SlightlyChilled

SlightlyChilled Very Active Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Hell
    Mutoh is just fine for me. To work around this i just try to keep them dry. Don't let ink sit in the heads

15. signsbykacie

signsbykacie Member

Apr 10, 2009
    dfw
    could it possibly be the capping station that I bought... I purchased it from cmyk, are they really mutoh parts or aftermarket?

16. ProWraps

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    hard to say. but i would speculate non OEM.

17. Robert M

Robert M Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2007
    colorado
    Pads

Are you running a falcon or falcon Jr

18. CheapVehicleWrap

Dec 2, 2008

A merchant member told me today that Mutoh doesn't actually make the cap top, a 3rd party does. I'll be testing 1 soon.

Although I wouldn't mind sticking with OEM inks I can't afford to be their guinea pig. I don't see the supply of "defective ink" leaving the channel anytime soon, even if/when they correct it. I guess I'll be the guinea pig for the ink I've mentioned several times.

19. Robert M

Robert M Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2007
    colorado
    Caps Falcon outdoor

There are two kinds of those caps, aqueous and solvent. I sell the solvent one for the Falcon at 130.00, 79.95 for the JR
    www.solventinkjet.com
    Switching to roland inks won't help, Epson or an Epson supplier makes all those inks

20. tomence

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
    How much for shipping if order one capp station for the JR
    Also is your capping station same as the one signwarehouse sells it.
    Thanks
    Tommy