• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

capping station replaced, poor k printing

AUTO-FX

Anyone got a clue here - I replaced the pump and capping station. the pump hose routings were just a very little bit different coming out of the pump- but basically the same. 2 shorts, 2 longs.
Color head prints fine, black head prints inconsistent and problematic. couple clean cycles makes it better ( but not great) then right back to poor on the next nozzle check. black ink spits all around maintenance station.

Attachments

• misc 9102048.jpg
    misc 9102048.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 164
  • misc 9102050.jpg
    misc 9102050.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 125
  • misc 9102051.jpg
    misc 9102051.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 134
  • misc 9102053.jpg
    misc 9102053.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 109
  • billthecat.jpg
    billthecat.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 108

CS-SignSupply

When doing a clean on the unit, check to make sure you have ink exiting the pump to the drain bottle. This will assure that you are getting suction from the pump.

How long were the printheads uncapped?

You might also try to change the damper on the black head. Usually if a head continues to have priming issues, it is either the damper or the unsuccessful seal of the cap station to the head.

AUTO-FX

thanks bobby -
Heads were uncapped for an hour or so.
Yes, good ink flow to tank during clean cycle.
Intially after replacement, the black cap would not spring into position correctly. This fixed itself with a dozen or so cycles as it "broke in." I manually moved the head back and forth into position ( power off! ) until it worked right. Atleast it appears right.
BUT, it may BE poor seal, since i can get a decent nozzle check after cleaning and then it falls off.
what do i do?

wow, crazy, it goes from a good nozzle check to printing next to no K after sitting parked for 3 minutes.

CS-SignSupply

I would suspect Damper in this case... Sounds almost like the reservoir in the head is not being replenished by the damper. How old are the dampers?

Running a clean and then a test print - ok
Sit for 3 minutes, test print, no K - air getting to the head or bad damper possibly

AUTO-FX

OK, i'll swap out the damper just to rule it out. Dont you find the ink spitting to be alarming? I never had that previously.

CS-SignSupply

Alarming? possible. Spitting could be caused by a slightly clogged nozzle firing at an angle... That is not a big deal.

This statement, "the black cap would not spring into position correctly. This fixed itself with a dozen or so cycles as it "broke in."", does concern me...

If the cap was misaligned, it is possible that the head could have been compromised during the 10-12 cycles you mention. If the plastic of the cap was forced onto the firing plate of the head, it might have damaged it.

AUTO-FX

no, no damage to head. swapped out damper, suctioned ink, ran cleaning cycle and printed two nice nozzle checks. i will let it sit awhile now and see what happens. Also, i must have knocked out the head alignment, black box in nozzle check is now slightly askew. Need to address that next.

Attachments

• misc.jpg
    misc.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 73

artbot

sounds like you might have it.

when you installed the pump, did you rotate the pump to a closed idle position?

AUTO-FX

Pump rotation? Heck, i dont know. i'm lucky i got the damn thing in there to begin with LOL!
After sitting all afternoon, it still prints a nice nozzle check.
All's well that ends well i guess.