Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car decals - New to this

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 08805, Feb 26, 2007.

1. 08805

08805 New Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Hey all.... Joe from Bound Brook NJ.

Decided to start my own business. Decal and car graphics.

Just not sure what equipment to buy.

Found a package deal online at a reputable site.

Epson Stylus Pro 7800 Printer
    Camm1 Roland 24" GX-24 Vinyl Cutter
    Daige 38" Quickmount4 Laminator

Any thoughts for a newbie? I really can't afford to spend the money on anything more expensive.

Any tips for someone starting out?

Thanx!
    Joe

Tags:
  2. Pro Image

Pro Image Major Contributor

Nov 28, 2005
    Howdee from VA.............

3. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    You might want to consider a thermal printer as well for decals . . . Gerber Edge

4. high impact

high impact Very Active Member

We started out with a roland pc-60 and an old Graphtec plotter. Then as business increased we kept upgrading equipment.

If you want to print and die-cut decals for cheap the roland pc-60 or pc-600 will work but the cost to print is expensive; it does put you in the market though. The edge is a much better machine but you will pay alot more for it. AND with thermal printing you really won't have much need for a laminator if your on a tight budget.

I can't see being serious and in this business without an eco-solvent or solvent printer...but prepare to shell out some big bucks then.

Good luck!!! And welcome, you've come to the right place...just pay attention - there is incredible advice and expertise here.

5. Ken

Ken Major Contributor

Feb 7, 2005
    BC
    Hey Joe...where you goin' with that plotter in your hand...?
    Welcome to S101.
    Why not just start with a plotter?
    Do you think this venture will be a full-time business right away for you - or will you work into it? Store-front or home-based? Do you still have a day job?
    What experience do you have? Learning the software is perhaps the biggest challenge. You can start a sign/graphics biz with hardware, but it is design skills and service that will keep you in business.
    Have you operated other businesses yourself?
    Not trying to rain on your parade...trying to get a feel for what you expect from this new venture.
    Regards...Ken

6. RJ California

RJ California Active Member

Jul 19, 2005
    California
    Good luck. Build your business and add equipment when the business can pay for it.

7. 08805

08805 New Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Thanx

Thanx for the warm welcome....

I have been doing graphic design and website design for almost 10 years. The graphic end of it is covered. My wife, who will also lend a hand in this business, graduated college with a degree in Illustration, Graphic Arts etc....

I have provided web design services and website maintenance to Fire Departments and Police Departments for several years. These type of organizations require vehicle/window decals on a regular basis and Firefighters LOVE customized decals for their gear, apparatus and personal vehicles. This is just one of the many audiences out there that I am going to target. I will pursue other areas eventually.

Thanx again for your warm welcome!

Regards,
    Joe

8. dclet

dclet Active Member

Dec 23, 2004
    fdsfdf
    Howdy neighbor!, if you need any help let me know...I reside in beautiful
    South Plainfield, NJ! and have spent atleast 20 years in the business. I can atleast steer you in the right direction equipment wise!

~Dan
    DC Lettering & Design

9. the east coast kid

the east coast kid Member

Aug 31, 2006
    NJ
    Hay joe,

I am from the same area and am a home based biz,looking for help with design maby we can work out a deal(I print for you you design for me ect...)

bunique2010@yahoo.com

10. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2005
    Lawton, OK, USA
    Welcome from Oklahoma!

:Welcome: to :signs101:​

11. RE-APP

RE-APP Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Welcome from WI!

12. sandblast_dude