• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

car in a parade....

petesign

Ok, so a client calls me... and is going to have a convertible in a Christmas parade... wants a big graphic for it. I go over a few ideas, but since the car isnt theirs, I dont want to so a temporary big decal, and a magnet will be expensive for them...

so, here's my thinking... I'm going to make a banner, about 30" tall and 72" wide, put a pole pocket in the top, and cut away the pocket for a handle in the middle.

Couple questions... anyone done this? I'm thinking they wont be moving too fast at all, but am still kind of thinking about maybe making a bottom pocket and putting something in it to weigh it down to prevent it from flapping.... but not so heavy that it would dent the car.

Do ya think this is a good idea to work around the limitations given?

petesign

Funny, I have yet to need static cling yet. EVER. I always managed to talk people out of it, because it seemed like a hassle. I guess that would be cool, they could then use it on the window of the office for the rest of the holiday season.

Firefox

I use it to put up temp signs on the windows and the car too. Real easy to change out. You do need to back it with white if it's clear cling though.

Raulrdz

Try photo-tex works great for temporary outdoor stuff like a parade decal and it doesn't leave any residue.

Sticky Signs

I'd use vinyl and Wax. Wax the area of the car that gets the graphics. Wipe off the wax and apply the vinyl. The vinyl will stick and it will even conform to the shapes but it will come off without any hassle. Use Rain Ex if it's going on the glass. Mother's Carnuba Wax works great. Make sure the car has factory paint otherwise you may be in for a surprise. Otherwise, I'd go with phototex.

JERHEMI

I do a lot of stuff for parades...either magnets (find out details about vehicle first and that area planning to stick magnets are actually metal and not plastic), or make banner with pole pockets and have two people walk in front of the car with it. The banner route works the best because as spectators are looking at the parade vehicle they can read the banner head on as it approaches, instead of being like "who the heck is in that car waving at us?" and not knowing until the car is right in front of the spectators to read the magnet on the door.

petesign

I went with the static cling idea, and sold them on the fact that they could then use the same graphic on their store window for the rest of the holiday season.

Bought it in white, so they will have to apply it to the exterior side of their windows .. but I hope it will be okay that long.

Thanks to all! I appreciate the input. One more roll of material for the shop that I will hardly ever use...

MikePro

cars don't travel very fast in parades, so you could proly just do coro + a couple strips of magnets and it will hold fine.

Craig Sjoquist

Well magnet will not work on a Corvette ( fiberglass body)

FDC makes a intermediate vinyl thats comes off easy
Exac-tac, Accughaphics vinyl mask also comes off easy
all 3 do not leave glue or very little when taken off

I use all 3 for years on cars, windows, any fairly flat surface.