Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car Wrap Material?

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by cr.designs, Oct 6, 2010.

1. cr.designs

cr.designs Member

Sep 2, 2010
    I've done a lot of standard wraps with full color on 3M control tac. I've seen alot of cars lately where it looks more like a paint job than printed vinyl. Usually its partial wrap with flames or something that kinda blend into the paint of the car. Are people using clear vinyl to create this effect? If I can find a pic I'll post it but don't have one now.

Tags:
  2. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    sure its a wrap? or airbrushing?
    i'm sure you can wrap elements with printed clear, i'm not trying to anytime soon tho'.

3. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    http://www.flxpaint.com/

This is what your seeing. You can get it from them or fellers, but it's super expensive.

4. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    FLXpaint? what kind of material is that? are they just spraying controltac with flexible automotive paint?

5. phototec

phototec Very Active Member

May 23, 2008
    Belton
    Yep, I stopped by their booth at a trade show, and basically that's what it is, of course they claim their process is better than you could do yourself.

I was thinking, I could take some vinyl to a body shop, pick a color and have them spray the vinyl with a real neat metal-flake auto paint, then roll it up after it dries and use the plotter/cutter to cut the design.

6. signswi

signswi Very Active Member

Oct 29, 2009
    They also clearcoat it. Nice product, thanks for the heads up.

7. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
  8. grafixemporium

grafixemporium Very Active Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Houston, TX
    We installed some racing stripes for a customer recently that were ordered from the dealership. They looked like metal flake paint on vinyl... but it wasn't nearly as flexible as controltac. Does this stuff really flex well? If so, looks cool! Might have to give it a try.

9. housemusikid

housemusikid Member

Mar 2, 2011
    It could also be a seamless wrap.

10. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    PITA! send them to a body shop!!!

11. AUTO-FX

AUTO-FX Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2010
    all major automotive paint mfgs have a flex additive available for painting plastic bumpers. it provides flexibility, but it actually decreases over a long period of time. What bothers me about the idea is what was mentioned above - i find it hard to believe that the paint coating would be nearly as flexible as the film itself. Also, I would think it must to lead to a shorter lifespan for the wrap than just traditional printed vinyl.If it's been printed, than it needs to be laminated. Seasonal temperature variations and such would cause expansion and contraction at different rates, right? Maybe I'm completely off base here, but it just seems risky to me when you need to warranty the install on what would have to be an expensive wrap.