Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carbon fiber and Realistic Flames

Discussion in 'Clipart, Vehicle Templates and Digital Files' started by peavey123, Aug 28, 2007.

1. peavey123

peavey123 Active Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I have a cutomer who wants a carbon fiber background with realistic flames to cover his drums. The only thing is I cannot find carbon fiber on my stock photo website. Has anyone run across any good quality carbon fiber images???

Thanks,
    Aaron

Tags:
  2. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    You can make a nice carbon fill with the Alien Skin texture plug-in [for Photoshop and/or Photopaint].

3. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
  4. Velocity

Velocity Member

Aug 6, 2006
  5. oc63rag

oc63rag Member

May 7, 2007
  6. jeroen

jeroen Member

Apr 18, 2006
    that tutorial is more for web graphics
    I'd doubt you'd get decent results when you print it...

7. mark in tx

mark in tx Very Active Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Harker Heights, Texas
    As long as the proper resolution is used, it should print fine.

8. GK

GK Very Active Member

Apr 30, 2007
    NYC
    set the scale that you want to work at and resolution and you will print fine. If you are making something from scratch @ a high PPI ...how would you figure it wont print well...

9. jeroen

jeroen Member

Apr 18, 2006
    you can scale it up, but then it will look like weird graded checkers instead of having a carbon look ;)

10. peavey123

peavey123 Active Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Awesome!! Thanks guys. As always, you've answered my question in astounding time! cheers!

11. GK

GK Very Active Member

Apr 30, 2007
    NYC
    gonna have to seriously disagree...you don't scale it up at all. You set your resolution high enough to print, you work at a scale that is similar to an actual carbon fiber weave, and you do a pattern fill of the carbon fiber, you don't scale it up it or it will look like checkers. Assume that each of the weave fiber sections are approx 1/8th inch each and work at a high resolution. That link will provide you with the exact same effect you will get with the bundled version of those graphic fills.

12. Velocity

Velocity Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Its all about scale

Mark and George are correct your going to want to design to scale hence the part about trying it a few times. Ive printed it and it looks great. 2 to 5 feet away and you really cant tell especially if you are good enought to add shadows to whatever it is your sticking it to.

Mind you this was the first tutorial I googled there are better carbon tutorials out there you just need to look for them and find the one that looks best to you.:peace!:

13. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    I can generate you one with my new seamless tile filter as an experiment. One of the filters that comes with it is Carbon Fiber. The colors and scale are adjustable. You then take the tile, duplicate it on new layers in Photoshop to build as large a canvas of carbon fiber as you want at 300 ppi or any other resolution you might prefer.

Attached is a preview closeup. All I need from you is the preferred colors.

Attached Files:

14. jeroen

jeroen Member

Apr 18, 2006
    don't care if you call is scaling or making it in another dpi/ppi
    it "looks" like carbon in 4x4 pixels on your monitor
    if you print and still think it looks like carbon, well... I guess you never saw real carbon before :Big Laugh

15. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    I've you have enough of those DOTS, then it WILL look like carbon fiber...I don't understand what you're saying or something. If you make the bugger 1000000 PPI, then you're sure as heck gonna have a whole bunch more DOTS to represent the LOOK of carbon fiber than if at 10 PPI.

16. Velocity

Velocity Member

Aug 6, 2006

Welp here is a side by side of the carbon I created on the right in photoshop and real carbon sheeting image from a supplier on the left. I have blown this image up large enough to wrap a hood. From 2 feet away you cant tell with the exception of the more uniform lines of the photoshop version. But then again this is why they are comming to you because they cant afford real carbon fiber so they get the designer knockoff.

Just saying you might need more practice to get it right.:peace!:

Attached Files: