• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Career choice stress

routierracing

This is going to be a little more serious than my usual posts. And I'm sure I won't be the only one who knows what this feels like. I'm 24 and I've been working with vinyl for a few years and enjoying it. However I'm just starting to question if I really want to stay with this for the rest of my life. Not to mention how different will the technology change in the future. Its no secret this is a bad time in the economy for a young guy to be an entrepreuner. And it seems like in this business you're only as good as what you've got in production right now... I don't really know what direction I want to go (although fire & rescue is a possibility) but I was just hoping some of you with a lot more job and life experience could give me some words of wisdom. Would you do it all over again? Would you start the same way in todays economic climate?

John Butto

Fire & Rescue and do vinyl on the side and if I could do it all again would buy Google stock, Microsoft, Apple etc. etc.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you’re having these thoughts as a young man, it might be to your advantage to go out and search the horizons.

Sure, times are different, the economy is different and the whole world in generally is a much different place than 20 years ago or even 40, but some things never change and if you have that wanderingness running about in your veins, you’ll always be wondering…. what if.

While you’re young and not set in your ways, no responsibilities….. the world is yours to conquer. Go out, seize the moment and see what all you can do. Give it your all. If you find yourself returning to signs or something related, then you didn’t waste any time and you will fit right back in. Other than that… you could find yourself building your dreams into something real.

Good Luck…………………. :thumb:

Locals Find!

I am not much older than you so, keep that in mind as I try to answer your question.

I love what I do and love doing it. However, why do you feel you have to do this the rest of your life or quit now? You can always change careers later in life. Many people do. Do you have kids or some other responsibility forcing your decision?

routierracing

I am not much older than you so, keep that in mind as I try to answer your question.

I love what I do and love doing it. However, why do you feel you have to do this the rest of your life or quit now? You can always change careers later in life. Many people do. Do you have kids or some other responsibility forcing your decision?

Good point.. I have a habbit of letting things get to me all at once. I don't have any huge family responsibilties. Only commitment really is my house payment. So I have a lot more freedom to try other stuff than some other people do. However I'm just trying to act on my future before I do settle down. As John said.. I do know a guy who is a career fireman and he does 24 on and 48 off leaving lots of time for his vinyl business. I'm probably going to end up heading the same direction but I'm trying not to be too spontaneous and trying to get opinions from people who know a whole lot more than I do.

CS-SignSupply-TT

I am the father of five (30, 26, 24, 20,18) and we have told them to "live a life without regrets...do not get to 50 and look back with anything other than joy, peace, and excitement..." Many years ago I saw a plaque on a customer's wall; it said TACKYY. Obviously I asked the question, TACKYY means? TAKE A CHANCE KID YOU'RE YOUNG

BobM

As a senior who has done lots of things and owned several small business' let me tell you one truth: WORK IS WORK. A new career is exciting, demanding, different and can be motivational. The "sign" business is like any other. If it becomes your passion and you work to expand your mind and capabilities, you will love it. If you just cut and slap vinyl, you might as well go to work at McDonalds.

Locals Find!

Good point.. I have a habbit of letting things get to me all at once. I don't have any huge family responsibilties. Only commitment really is my house payment. So I have a lot more freedom to try other stuff than some other people do. However I'm just trying to act on my future before I do settle down. As John said.. I do know a guy who is a career fireman and he does 24 on and 48 off leaving lots of time for his vinyl business. I'm probably going to end up heading the same direction but I'm trying not to be too spontaneous and trying to get opinions from people who know a whole lot more than I do.

Well, I wish you luck. Anyway you go. I did get some good advice once, it was "will you regret not trying?" Its what led me to join the Air Force. I know I would have regretted not trying. Well, thats my advice. Just ask yourself that question. I am going to go now before Gino comes back to blast me.

mikey-Oh

Just when I thought I was out... they pulled me back in

I walked away from all forms of design for a few years.
Tried a variety of vocations only to end up doing this again.
Now, I'm content with the career.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, I wish you luck. Anyway you go. I did get some good advice once, it was "will you regret not trying?" Its what led me to join the Air Force. I know I would have regretted not trying. Well, thats my advice. Just ask yourself that question. I am going to go now before Gino comes back to blast me.

Nope, not all the time, but the only thing I want to add is. Thank you for your service, Addie.... truly. I do mean that. :unclesam:

signswi

Get out while you still can. The average American switches careers 5 times, at 24 you have a lot of time to pivot into an industry with more growth potential but the sooner you do it the better.

mikefine

I wouldn't bet on vinyl work as my career and for it to be the medium of the future. Vinyl replaced painting. Flatbeds and printers are replacing vinyl.

In 10-15 years, the industry will be onto something else.
So, do you really want to be 40 and be called "Old Vinyl" on the forum?
By the way, are you a liberal?

I would explore options...

HulkSmash

I'm 24 and I've been working with vinyl for a few years and enjoying it. However I'm just starting to question if I really want to stay with this for the rest of my life. Not to mention how different will the technology change in the future. Its no secret this is a bad time in the economy for a young guy to be an entrepreuner. And it seems like in this business you're only as good as what you've got in production right now..

All i can say is... Don't do something if you don't love it, it will make your life miserable.

As for the economy. It's really only what you make it, especially as a young entrepreneur. I'm only 25, and i have been able to accomplish so much in the years of owning my own business. It all has to do with taking risks.... You have to spend money to make money. Keep up with technology, or you will be left behind. Yeah, it's expensive.. but once you are able to do what you couldn't before.. the work will flow in. Stay strong, and good luck in your decision.

artbot

you are thinking like a 25 year old, which i also did 19 years ago. at that time, i was an artist, musician, produced a ghetto ministry tv show, made sets for rap videos, was tinkering with my stupid wide body 911. now i'm divorced and finally have custody of my awesome 13 year old daughter.

what would i change? i'd erase every distraction, every friend, every outlet that kept me from being better off today. if you are 25 make decisions as if you were going to be 40 tomorrow. if you you are 40 (i'm 44) make them as if you will be 60 tomorrow.

it's just a thing one goes through i guess, you are young and "cool factor" plays into one's hedonistic career choices. we all do it.

take my word for it. if it's not vinyl, then turn your business a few degrees to something else, work hard, network, and plan for disaster. you are growing up in a world that i didn't. it's a lot more screwed up and you will not have it as easy. and yes, at 25 you are still growing up. at 22 i bought my first home, and was incorporated at even 19. but i didn't get to the real "man" part of my life and no ones else does until one is about 38 to 42.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
As a 45 year-old, I refuse to let the decisions of an 18 year-old (me...way back when) continue to chart the course of my life. At age 34 I quit industry, went back to school for a teaching degree...and after six years of teaching, I quit that to start my own business. It wasn't easy, but it was doable. And yes...I took a big cut in pay.

But, I'm much happier, my stress level is lower and I look forward to Monday's with a passion.

It would sure have been nice to have the maturity and reasoning skills of a 45 year-old way back when I was first planning to go to college.

Moral of the story: It's never too late, just harder...but possible. Hang in there and look long and hard before you leap.

JB