• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

carriage moves over cut path, but no cutting

MikeD

FC2250
Issue # 1. “TOOL POSITION ALARM” error pops up after cutting. If we cycle the power it goes away, but comes back within 2 jobs.

Issue # 2. When the job is sent, marks are read and cutting begins, the carriage moves over all cut paths, but the tool does not go down and cut the entire path; the tool lifts. If the job is sent out a 2nd time, the same thing happens, but in different areas of the cut paths. We are processing the same file on our 2nd FC2250 without issue. We have tried a couple of brand new USB cords as well as different ports, but the problem persists.

There have been no changes in our workflow in several years.

Any ideas are appreciated!

CS-SignSupply

Issue 2, does the tool drop to cut the material at all?

Might be something with the Pen Carriage Height that can be adjusted.

Can you feel any play in the cuthead if you manually move it left to right and up to down? (Power off first)

Has the blade holder been replaced? if so, when?

C

ColoPrinthead

You might try resetting the firmware or just call Graphtech support, they got back to me within hours the last time I called them.

MikeD

The tool does not drop at all in some areas. We can send the job out again, and it will not drop in a different area, and cut the part it was "up" on in the last attempt.

Also, the print to cut registration is off. There is now pattern to that defect.

The parts that do cut, cut well.

There is no play in the carriage or gantry.

MikeD

I think there must be a loose connection on 1 of the ribbon cables under the carriage or Ybar.

Anyone know how to take one apart to inspect?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
When was the last time you cleaned the dust and crap out of the blade positioning mechanism with special attention to the up/down cylinder?

Most of the time not cutting here and there is because of dust buildup in this area. Remove the dust cover and blow it out with clean air. DO NOT LUBRICATE ANYTHING, just blow it out. See if that doesn't do something for you.

The up/down mechanism is very gentle force-wise and it doesn't take much to screw it up.

MikeD

I'm about to tear into this thing (very carefully...)
Thank you all for the help!
I will post the results

MikeD

I had trouble logging in to Signs101...
anyway, everything in the pen block looked fine and moved freely (up/down.) Now I have the Y Bar off and am replacing the 2 Y ribbon cables. When manually moving the carriage, I could hear a slight clicking noise, and reached under and felt what seemed to be a kink.
Hopefully have this thing back in order and running by this evening.

On another note, while trying to isolate the problem, I took the control box off of the problematic plotter and switched it over to another flatbed. before I hooked it up, I took the cover off and found that 3 wire harnesses were pushed in, but not locked. I locked them and did some small test runs without issue. When the operators came in a few hrs later and ran heavy production the problem came back. Further research points to the Y cable.

Thank you guys for sharing your experience and knowledge with me!

MikeD

It's fun..and I'm getting PAID! Can't beat that, although if I don't get it right, I'll probably get FIRED!
In for a long night for sure.