• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cartoon effect in CS3

BRUSHMARKS

Trying to find a way to turn an image into a cartoon effect. i have looked for filters, with no luck also tryed opening in AI and doing the live trace and paint. also not what i am looking for. Any input would be great.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I don't think you will find it.

There are a ton of filters to modify the threshold and the contrast of an image but that isn't the same as what a cartoonist does with a pen or a brush. The closest you will come is to set up an action or simply an orderly workflow in Photoshop to vary the contrast, posterization and threshold and then apply heavy strokes to each area you can isolate so that you end up with a coloring book effect.

Artildawn

cartoon effect could mean many different things. Can you show an example of what type of look you're going for and the image that you're wanting to convert from?

RVSG-THOM

your going to need to skim the internet for tutorials. There is no such filter, but there are tutorials out there the show what fred is talking about. It's a little more work, but well worth it for the expansion of your knowledge of photoshop. Once you create the effect your looking for, try and make it into an action set, then you will have that saved in photoshop to use it again further on down the road.

Check this one: might look useful.
http://clipmarks.com/clipmark/300C9A9F-6182-44C3-B78C-8E8A08C4B7F2/

BRUSHMARKS

Here is hte image i am working with. We are trying to acheive a cartoon look. with only a few different colors used. i have looked on google for a few hours with no help besides a few that for me will day hours to acheive. didn't know if the was a filter that could make it easier.

Attachments

• DSC03161[1] copy.jpg
    DSC03161[1] copy.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 75

weaselboogie

You may get close and turn it into 'line art', but to turn something into a cartoon , you'll need a cartoonist. Deaton is your man!