• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cartridge weights

eforer

Hey Guys,

I have a JV3-160s bypassed for bulk ink without chips. I am the second owner and am actually using the OEM SS2 cartridges and have been for a bit. Since its bypassed, I the ink level warnings/readings are non-existent. I was wondering if anyone has the weights of a full cartridge and a near empty cartridge as my method for checking the ink level amounts to popping out the cartridge and sloshing the ink to see if it feels full. Obviously, this is less than empirical, and while I have thus far avoided a mishap and managed to keep on top of the carts before they emptied and started sucking air, I realize that this could be an unpleasant eventuality. I'm thinking that using a high quality scale to compare weights might be a better way to go.

mediaman

1 gm of ink = 1 ml of ink

I don't know what size carts you have but Roland 220ml carts contain 220gm of usable ink. Weigh your cart when full and empty to see how many gms they hold and you should be able to get a reasonable "ink left" number by weighing a partial. I hope this info helps.

signguytom

You might actually only need to update your printer firmware. We recently went to OEM inks from 3rd party inks and were told that our sensors were not actually disabled, but the printer firmware for the 3rd party inkset was programmed to not even look for the chips. Daniel at abetterink.com helped us through that. We bought our equipment from them a couple years ago, but maybe they will help you too...? If not, try your Mimaki dealer. Just a thought...

eforer

I'm on firmware 3.10 which is allows the use of un-chipped carts. I just bought a bulk ink setup so the issue is kind of moot now. Thanks for the input though.