• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cash N Carry vs Install

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, this is pretty stupid. I googled it once and about 50 different recipes came up and you're telling us you need our input ??

Acceptable surfaces
Vehicles
Glass
Metals (Must be painted with a smooth, glossy enamel.)
Vehicles (Must be painted with a smooth, glossy enamel.)
Vinyl (Such as Banners, Canopies, flags, etc.)
Plastic
Fiberglass (Must be painted with a smooth, glossy enamel.)
Other Painted Surfaces (Paint must be smooth and glossy, vinyl will not stick to oxidized, faded, or peeling paint)

Not recommended surfaces
Cement
Raw Lumber
Oxidized or faded paint
Peeling paint
Rubber
Raw Metals
Oily Surfaces
Plywood or wood in general
Primer Painted Surfaces

These lists are not comprehensive and there are other acceptable and unacceptable substrates than those listed above.

Dry Method - Adhesive Backed Vinyl Application Instructions (RECOMMENDED)
  1. Read all of our directions first!
  2. Clean the surface well to avoid dust and oil under the vinyl.
  3. Without removing the backing, place sign exactly in the position it is to be located.
  4. Hold everything temporarily into place with masking tape.
  5. Step back and see how it looks.
  6. Once applied, it cannot be repositioned.
  7. Measure twice to assure accuracy, measure from the flat areas on numbers and letters.
  8. Apply a piece of masking tape across the entire top edge, to make a hinge.
  9. Fold the sign back along the tape hinge.
  10. Remove the backing (back side), revealing the sticky side (Only remove the backing - DO NOT remove the transfer tape - Front Side)
  11. CAUTION: Do not allow the sign to fall freely on the surface or it will stick there and potentially ruin the vinyl if you try to remove it.
  12. ** Hold the sign away from the surface. With a squeegee (plastic spatula, bondo applicator, etc.) carefully begin to squeegee down the top 1 to 2 inches along the top edge. Work from the hinge down, squeegee down and out over the remaining sign area, but be careful not to trap any air bubbles behind the vinyl.
  13. Remove the transfer tape by slowly peeling it back from the sign.
  14. The sign will remain in place if it has been firmly applied.
  15. If any air bubbles appear, puncture with a pin and squeeze the area to flatten the bubbles.
  16. Tiny bubbles will disappear over time with the heat of the sun.

Wet Method - Application of Adhesive Backed Vinyl
  1. This method makes it easy to put down large graphics with less air bubbles. Take your time and you will get professional looking results.
  2. You can use this method as above with a tape hinge by inserting the following steps after the coordinating symbols. OR You can "float" the sign on the surface without a tape hinge; this will allow a small amount of movement for straightening.
  3. Create a Liquid Soapy Water Mixture: Mix 1 1/2 teaspoons of dish soap with 32 oz. of water. Mix in a spray bottle.
  4. Prepare mix before you begin application.
  5. * Spray a liberal amount of soap & water mixture on the surface to which you are applying the vinyl AND the adhesive side of the vinyl - first remove the paper backing.
  6. ** Squeegee out the water. Allow the water to dry before removing the transfer tape. MUST let dry for ATLEAST 12 hours in SUN or use hair dryer to assure the lettering has strongly adhered to the surface.
  7. CAUTION: In both Dry Method and Wet Method, once the sign has been applied it cannot be repositioned. It can be removed by applying a little heat with a hair dryer AND peeling it away. The sign is not reusable once it has been removed.

Reveal1

I sell ready to install lettering, have a group of truck guys that buy them all the time, mostly just about 12"x24". They give me the measurements, I give them a proof. They get a cheap squeege and some instructions I copied somehere years ago.
With trucking companies, its more about logistics than trying to save money. Got a new truck on Friday and a load scheduled Monday, need to get that puppy on the road and making money. Give the install to a capable employee who is available Friday evening to get it done. Glad not to have to turn my schedule upside down for the few bucks of install.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Ya know, this is pretty stupid. I googled it once and about 50 different recipes came up and you're telling us you need our input ??

Acceptable surfaces
Vehicles
Glass
Metals (Must be painted with a smooth, glossy enamel.)
Vehicles (Must be painted with a smooth, glossy enamel.)
Vinyl (Such as Banners, Canopies, flags, etc.)
Plastic
Fiberglass (Must be painted with a smooth, glossy enamel.)
Other Painted Surfaces (Paint must be smooth and glossy, vinyl will not stick to oxidized, faded, or peeling paint)

Not recommended surfaces
Cement
Raw Lumber
Oxidized or faded paint
Peeling paint
Rubber
Raw Metals
Oily Surfaces
Plywood or wood in general
Primer Painted Surfaces

These lists are not comprehensive and there are other acceptable and unacceptable substrates than those listed above.

Dry Method - Adhesive Backed Vinyl Application Instructions (RECOMMENDED)
  1. Read all of our directions first!
  2. Clean the surface well to avoid dust and oil under the vinyl.
  3. Without removing the backing, place sign exactly in the position it is to be located.
  4. Hold everything temporarily into place with masking tape.
  5. Step back and see how it looks.
  6. Once applied, it cannot be repositioned.
  7. Measure twice to assure accuracy, measure from the flat areas on numbers and letters.
  8. Apply a piece of masking tape across the entire top edge, to make a hinge.
  9. Fold the sign back along the tape hinge.
  10. Remove the backing (back side), revealing the sticky side (Only remove the backing - DO NOT remove the transfer tape - Front Side)
  11. CAUTION: Do not allow the sign to fall freely on the surface or it will stick there and potentially ruin the vinyl if you try to remove it.
  12. ** Hold the sign away from the surface. With a squeegee (plastic spatula, bondo applicator, etc.) carefully begin to squeegee down the top 1 to 2 inches along the top edge. Work from the hinge down, squeegee down and out over the remaining sign area, but be careful not to trap any air bubbles behind the vinyl.
  13. Remove the transfer tape by slowly peeling it back from the sign.
  14. The sign will remain in place if it has been firmly applied.
  15. If any air bubbles appear, puncture with a pin and squeeze the area to flatten the bubbles.
  16. Tiny bubbles will disappear over time with the heat of the sun.

Wet Method - Application of Adhesive Backed Vinyl
  1. This method makes it easy to put down large graphics with less air bubbles. Take your time and you will get professional looking results.
  2. You can use this method as above with a tape hinge by inserting the following steps after the coordinating symbols. OR You can "float" the sign on the surface without a tape hinge; this will allow a small amount of movement for straightening.
  3. Create a Liquid Soapy Water Mixture: Mix 1 1/2 teaspoons of dish soap with 32 oz. of water. Mix in a spray bottle.
  4. Prepare mix before you begin application.
  5. * Spray a liberal amount of soap & water mixture on the surface to which you are applying the vinyl AND the adhesive side of the vinyl - first remove the paper backing.
  6. ** Squeegee out the water. Allow the water to dry before removing the transfer tape. MUST let dry for ATLEAST 12 hours in SUN or use hair dryer to assure the lettering has strongly adhered to the surface.
  7. CAUTION: In both Dry Method and Wet Method, once the sign has been applied it cannot be repositioned. It can be removed by applying a little heat with a hair dryer AND peeling it away. The sign is not reusable once it has been removed.
Gino Thank you.

CanuckSigns

Robert Armerding Why is your client set on written instructions? they say a picture is worth a thousand words, so a youtube video is worth at least a million. If your written instructions are more than a few bullet points I can guarantee a novice installer won't read them, but let them watch a 5 minute video on their phone and they will go over it 10 times.

Reveal1

Robert..... you can google it or utube it just about anywhere. A frickin' monkey can do it. 40 years ago, one needed written instructions cause nobody knew what you were talking about. Anyone nowadays purchasing this stuff to DIY should already know how. Otherwise, they're just gonna hafta travel that 300 miles you talked about and bite the bullet. Maybe go see a movie at a Drive-In til it's finished. Ya just can't go there in your vehicle.

Robert, when you are done with it, can I borrow that monkey to research an HR manual?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Besides, sparcal, avery and just about every other manufacturer used that same setup. He wants it customized.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Robert Armerding Why is your client set on written instructions? they say a picture is worth a thousand words, so a youtube video is worth at least a million. If your written instructions are more than a few bullet points I can guarantee a novice installer won't read them, but let them watch a 5 minute video on their phone and they will go over it 10 times.
CanuckSigns Yes, YouTube is very helpful as long as you have internet access. And then, the variances in what all the YouTube videos have to say is confusing to say the least. At the bottom of my written instructions there will be a list or recommended YouTube videos. Indeed, even making that selection has been a challenge.
And, certainly most "novice installers" will not read the instructions.
The objective is to provide written instructions for the rare person who will carefully read them and take them step-by-step.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Who does not have internet access, but can order signs from across the country ?? If they are shopping like that, they have everything at their fingertips. This is pure nonsense. I'm starting to think we're helping you write a book. If that's so, I wanna know about my royalties rights.

Jeremiah

Yesterday I sold 2 ready to install items. I avoid the words cash n carry , sticker , decal . It's usually a waste of time when in the first minute of the conversation a customer tells me what the price is for a sticker on the internet from A H Kim company. I usually WANT to say, there is the door.

Superior_Adam

eahicks That certainly is your free choice to run your business that way. My client wants to help his customers who have no access to skilled installers.
I hope you are charging your client to help their customers. I would give them basic instructions and if they want to get more detailed let them do it since your not doing it for the end user.

SteveQuincey

I personally enjoy when a client plans on doing the install themselves. I however have no other employees; so this saves me a lot of time from being away from my shop. If the measurements aren't all chaotic and varying I recommend doing it this way. Most likely they will mess a few up and you can charge them for replacements.

Chuck B

Riff Meister
Okay---the guy's technique in this video SUCKS!...outright. Water?....initial tape placement at the top of the graphic?, his squeegee technique?----all suck, which is why half of the shit on that van is crooked---bet it has a lot of bubbles too.

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
We saw that a signage company in a neighboring province was giving out little pvc? squeegees with branding and instructions printed on them really tiny; cute idea, made it easy to hand off a decal to a client who has never done it before.