• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cast or calendered on magnetics?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I stand corrected.

It makes sense, but we have two rules at our shop. First one is....

It cuts down on confusion.... don't mix any of them and the other is....

Don't mix them.

Why is it if the calendared underneath shrinks at one rate and the cast on top at a different rate, that they would be considered compatible ?? They are still moving and breathing under two different conditions. How is that considered not following the warranty ??

AllSquare Jason

Great question, and I can't answer it. I am guessing that the cast would probably be more stable that the calendered product - OR that the cast laminate would conform to the calendered material. I'll find out for sure.

I know its a recent trend for manufacturers to to pair a high performance calendered print film (Arlon 4560GTX) with a cast overlaminate (Arlon 3220) for vehicle use - and they warranty it.

This started for us when we started selling an optically clear cast laminate at .40 per square a few years back, and basically customers started using it for all print vinyls. Overkill for some yes - but perfect for others and no headache or hastle of having to change our the roll of laminate. We still sell 30 or so rolls a month at .44 per square.

Malkin

It would have to do with edge curl...

Calandared vinyl will shrink (way)faster than cast.

Being that in mind, a Calandared lam (top surface) will start to curl up the edges when it shrinks. A Calendared vinyl (with a Cast lam) would try to curl down, but of course against a vehicle it would just stay flat anyway.

Like bad grocery cart wheel or a flat tire, it pulls in one direction or the other.