• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cast Vs. Calendered

Doing 15-20 full color 22X79" signs on metal for a new client. I live in a very mild climate (think SF or Portland, Oregon) with not a lot of direct sunlight. These signs will be outdoor, exposed to the elements. I have always used Oracal products, and usually go for the 3165RA laminated with 210 for this kind of stuff. it has always worked great in the past, but i'm wondering if others are using a comparable calendered vinyl for simple flat applications like this, or if i should bump it up to a more expensive cast material. The signs are permanent and i want the prints to last as well. Any advice? What would you do?

ionsigns

PERMANENT. Your words. Calendared vinyl ever expressed as permanent? Include the additional cost differential to print on cast and bask in the warm feeling that your customer will enjoy longer lasting advertising impressions...and don't hesitate to tell anyone and everyone that given the choice between increasing your profits and giving your customer a better value...you delivered...

for the betterment of the CUSTOMER!

Last edited:

MikePro

calendared, in a climate-controlled shop:
(off the roll even!)
Picture 18.jpg
cast, outdoors in the sunlight
Picture 21.jpg

Last edited:

Colin

I have always used Oracal products, and usually go for the 3165RA laminated with 210 for this kind of stuff. it has always worked great in the past

If it has always worked great in the past, why the upgrade?

.....or should I bump it up to a more expensive cast material.

It depends on what the wants/expectations of the customer is.

The signs are permanent

Define permanent.

....and I want the prints to last as well.

Again, what does "last" mean, and does the customer share your "wants" and prepared to pay the extra?

Great feedback, everyone. thank you. Yeah, it has worked in the past. We have only been around for 5 years, but none of the prints i have done on 3165RA have faded, peeled, or been anything but perfect in that time frame. I think i get away with it because of the cool mild climate, in part. We only usually stock 3M wrap material in a cast and use calendered for everything else. seemed like a waist to use such specialty material for something flat. i guess like everyone, it is a balancing act of how many different materials you want to keep on hand. I want to provide customers with a long lasting product, but want to make a good profit too, obviously not at the expense of my graphics falling off prematurely. Thanks again for any input.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I see no problem with what you're already using.

You said 'prints'. That's your weakest link in the chain. The vinyl will probably last 5 to 7 years with laminate. The ink will probably start fading before the vinyl gives way.

Permanent used to mean 10 to 15 years. Today with all the vinyl on signs, permanent is usually about 5 to 7 years.

I talk to people in years instead of assuming they understand the vinyl industry. Heck, I had a customer where another sign shop told them vinyl was non-bio-degradable and would last for near ever. Try to un-educate someone with that mindset.