• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Catalog Printing

Sorry if this is in the wrong area. I was wondering if anybody knew of an affordable print house that does catalogs. We have a 64 page catalog that we want printed, scored, folded, and sewn. It is also to have tabs on the pages. We got a quote from a popular print house. For 250 catalogs $11,000.00 and for 500 it was $13,000.00. Personally I thought this was ridiculous. That's almost 50 dollars a catalog. How are we supposed to hand them out for free at that price. Please let me know if you have used anybody or know of anybody that can do these in CA.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Sorry if this is in the wrong area. I was wondering if anybody knew of an affordable print house that does catalogs. We have a 64 page catalog that we want printed, scored, folded, and sewn. It is also to have tabs on the pages. We got a quote from a popular print house. For 250 catalogs $11,000.00 and for 500 it was $13,000.00. Personally I thought this was ridiculous. That's almost 50 dollars a catalog. How are we supposed to hand them out for free at that price. Please let me know if you have used anybody or know of anybody that can do these in CA.

You can get them printed from lulu.com for less ... even get them in small quantities since they are print on demand. really what you need to look into is a offset print shop in your area that does perfect bound digital full color offset printing. otherwise http://www.printplace.com/printing/catalog-printing.aspx might be a way to go ... 8.5x11 64 pages 250 qty was $5.6k

You can get them printed from lulu.com for less ... even get them in small quantities since they are print on demand. really what you need to look into is a offset print shop in your area that does perfect bound digital full color offset printing. otherwise http://www.printplace.com/printing/catalog-printing.aspx might be a way to go ... 8.5x11 64 pages 250 qty was $5.6k

Thanks I'll look into that. What we wanted was 11X17 scored and folded.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
11x17 is huge ... are you aiming to make something that someone doesn't want to keep cause it's too bulky to throw on a shelf?

No. Each page is 11X17 and consits of four catalog pages then when you fold it in half like a hamburger it makes 2 pages with a front and a back.

the graphics co

52 page booklet/catalog on 4 over is about 3k, that is the most pages listed but you may be able to get more with a custom order.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
ok, so not 11x17, it's an 8.5x11 catalog, you are just looking for a saddle stitched booklet not a perfect bound booklet. ... at 64 pages you might find it more economical to switch to perfect binding ... saddle stitching would probably give you 4 stitched sections then require the cover on top ... probably last a little longer as a perfect bound catalog too ... less chance of someone breaking a stitch and watching it fall apart in their hands.

either that or they will side stitch/staple and then have to guillotine them to a straight edge ... at which point ... the cut off will be considerably more noticable from the center page to the outer cover when laid flat open.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
This might be completely out of the question, but for the prices you are speaking of (assuming you do this annually) you could get a copier lease and print the books yourself for a few dollars each. Get a 'long neck' stapler and put them together as you need them.

We do this, and it works out ok for us. Our catalog is only 16 pages though. Sure saves a lot of money, but it's not for everyone.

mark galoob

Lol. I never understood how a business buys a 20k copier so they can save a few bucks on their printing. Our chamber did this and sure they get real cheap copies and make cheap postcards. Except they don't count their copier lease payment as part of the cost of making copies. Now if u plan on making 20 k or more in copies it starts to make sense.

Seriously. Find a local digital print shop and trade them signs for some booklets. You will both come out ahead

Mark galoob

visual800

publications press 877-701-5087 Harvey Starling, tell him bruce sent you if you will.

these guys are local to me and thats all they do is print catalogs

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Lol. I never understood how a business buys a 20k copier so they can save a few bucks on their printing. Our chamber did this and sure they get real cheap copies and make cheap postcards. Except they don't count their copier lease payment as part of the cost of making copies. Now if u plan on making 20 k or more in copies it starts to make sense.
Mark galoob

We leased used copier/printer with a service contract. It only costs us about $130/month which is pretty easy to make up for. We balance the cost (vs having a small, cheap color printer) after about 1000 prints a month, which is well under what we do. We pay $.10 per color print, paper included and we can run 11x17 at the same price.

It's not for everyone. We appreciate the "on demand" aspect of it. Most sign shops simply don't do enough printing.

royster13

I call BS......Colour 11 x 17 copies for 10 cents each?.....Maybe with 2% coverage....But most folks printing full colour print very heavy.....Please tell us what kind of printer you are getting this rate for?....

FatCat

I call BS......Colour 11 x 17 copies for 10 cents each?.....Maybe with 2% coverage....But most folks printing full colour print very heavy.....Please tell us what kind of printer you are getting this rate for?....

It's not BS. You have to realize the cost to own/operate a true copier is very different vs. a desktop printer. Unless I misunderstood he is paying $130/month for the machine PLUS the .10¢/copy for maintenance/toner. So all in all if he does 1,000 copies a month he is paying $130/month for the machine plus another $100/month for maintenance/toner. This is all usually rolled together in a 3-5 year lease contract. (Much bigger investment than buying a $500 desktop laser and then buying cartridges as needed.)

*I know the last print shop I worked about 7 years ago had purchased a fairly large color copier with Creo RIP and a booklet/stapling finisher and the cost for that machine was around $60k new. However, the "click charge" whether it was a 3x5 postcard or a 12" x 18" poster was always the same. (At that time, about .05¢ per click based on our estimated usage of roughly 20,000 clicks per month) So on top of the payment for the machine, we were paying another $1000/month for the maintenance plan which included parts, toner, and a 24/7 field tech.

jfiscus

Rap Master

Yes, and without any expenses for toner, etc in most cases. I used to work at a print shop and we paid 10 cents click charge for each sheet side, full color (13"x19" sheets).

ThinkRight

How about making your own with sample products .
People buy more when they can touch something.
And if they had one thing in mind,and see something better it is an automatic up-sale.
Just make a mini portfolio magazine and add prices and product info.
.....??

RJ TECH1

Printer Singing Lessons + Flexi Undergraduate 2001
We print our own catalog here with a leased Konica Minolta C6500, a perfect bind machine, and guillotine paper cutter. We started this about 2 years ago and works out great since this industry is so volatile. We do some printing for some of our customers to help alleviate the costs of the machine. Maybe we could help you? PM me if you are interested.