• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Catamaran Wing Wrap

dlndesign

I have a request to wrap a wing for a Catamaran in the Americas Cup. From what I understand it is a carbon fiber and clysar sectioned piece, that I should have the opportunity to take one at a time and wrap it accordingly. My question is, has anyone else done this before? Thanks.

Speedsterbeast

I would assume you are referring to the centerboards.
I've never heard of clysar, but the fabric that is used should be irrelavent. An epoxy is used to fill and stiffen the fabric, but it is usually coated with a clearcoat for UV stability.
However, if we are talking Americas Cup boats, then who the heck knows what kind of fancy stuff they have for coatings.
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even UV stabilize the carbon fiber and epoxy to save weight.
Look at what happened to the Aussie's in 1995.

I would love to see the end result of the project. It should be a lot of fun.
Too bad they wrecked the Cup with cats. No more close racing.

SlightlyChilled

clysar if I am right is the covering that the use on the wing...

WOW I had no clue that the cup went all cats that is nuts...

Funny to me seeing that I sail cats...

I've wrapped the hull of a 40's but not a cat. Being that this is an America's cup vessel with a little inquiry you may be able to get cad files...regardless it will b a challenging install ..obviously make certain it is wax free..and that you have ample installation time.. EVery boating project I have done seems to have been a rush..racing boats even more so...but I love them, what a great project to have in your portfolio. I would definitely send out press releases if you do the job & get a little advertising exposure.