• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

caulk line on seam

signgal01

We have seen on a couple of wraps done by other companies in our town where a cut line around an edge of a window or seam in vehicle (mostly buses and trailers) the company has ran a clear caulk line. Is this common on large wraps?

Christian @ 2CT Media

We have seen on a couple of wraps done by other companies in our town where a cut line around an edge of a window or seam in vehicle (mostly buses and trailers) the company has ran a clear caulk line. Is this common on large wraps?

Is it caulk or clear acrylic edge sealer / nail polish?

T_K

Is it caulk or clear acrylic edge sealer / nail polish?

I'm guessing it's probably edge sealer, as well. But I guess if they had some silicone laying around, they could have used that as well.

I've always tried to avoid the edge sealer when I can. It makes removal more difficult, and it's easy to make it look sloppy.

The only reason I've used it in the past was when we had a heavy ink saturation on a wrap that caused the edges to lift after install. The ink didn't have enough time to dry and outgas, so it added some headaches to the install. But even then, we used the edge sealer as a spot treatment, not over every edge or seam. The good news is that the wrap still looked good a year later (last time I saw it).

If you've had issues with your wraps lifting at the edges or seams, you can use the sealer. But I don't think it's often necessary.

signgal01

I'm guessing it's probably edge sealer, as well. But I guess if they had some silicone laying around, they could have used that as well.

I've always tried to avoid the edge sealer when I can. It makes removal more difficult, and it's easy to make it look sloppy.

The only reason I've used it in the past was when we had a heavy ink saturation on a wrap that caused the edges to lift after install. The ink didn't have enough time to dry and outgas, so it added some headaches to the install. But even then, we used the edge sealer as a spot treatment, not over every edge or seam. The good news is that the wrap still looked good a year later (last time I saw it).

If you've had issues with your wraps lifting at the edges or seams, you can use the sealer. But I don't think it's often necessary.

Thanks that is what we were thinking should be done. Another question, I have a bus we are wrapping that has caulk lines in quite a few spots the the vinyl won't adhere to, would you just wrap over the caulk line and have the adhesion on either side, or cut it out leaving a think white line in the finished wrap?