Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cause that a die-cut decal comes off ?

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Yammaski, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Yammaski

Yammaski New Member

Sep 30, 2010
    mol
    What can be the cause that a die-cut decal comes off from the back window of a car ?
    The window is cleaned very well, than treated with an alcohol product to remove dust and oil/fat.

Tags:
  2. tsgstl

tsgstl Active Member

Jan 17, 2012
    more info?
    at least what type of material was used?

3. slappy

slappy Very Active Member

May 31, 2005
    Earth
    what are you using for transfer tape?? Is it coming off with that? When you remove it?

4. Yammaski

Yammaski New Member

Sep 30, 2010
    mol
    I'am using Oracal 751 Cast (with GXP-775 application paper) for years and never had promblems that stickers come off from the window, even with high pressure and whipers.
    But some customers sometimes complain that their sticker comes off from itself. So I wonder if the customer did'nt follow my install-description or if they really have the problem !?
    I thougt it can be a kind of wax/polish from the car-wash that's on the window or something like that. Or a product that's in the window washer nozzles like antifreeze.
    It's strange.

5. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

Rain-X probably. That is also an alchohol product but would not be a good one for prepping glass.

Many car washes nowadays also include rain-x as part of the wash. If you have any suspicion of it probably need to clean the glass with a solvent like xylene first.

6. Sidelinemgr

Sidelinemgr Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Rain-x will not hold decals they will slide off.

7. wmshuman

wmshuman Member

Apr 14, 2005
    I was gonna say Rain-X too. That is definitely the problem from my experience.

8. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Some vehicle glass will NEVER hold a decal of any kind. My good friend makes his living as a window film installer. He schooled me after I had 2 complete failures of window graphics. The second lasted a couple days longer ever after sealing the edges with clear coat.
    Lexus is a good one for this. Can't remember the other vehicles he said caused issues.

As a last ditch go over the window with Bar Keepers friend and try again. Bon Ami will work too.