• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ce5000 - 120 stops cutting mid job

The Phranc

Has any one else he problem of the Graphtec CE5000 -120 plotter just stopping in the middle of a cut? This happens sporadically to me and normally I just un-plug the USB and plug it back in and the machine resumes operation. Today it wouldn't work so I updated drivers and firmware. Still stops in the middle of the job. I have cut this file a little over a hundred time now so I know its not a bad design.

Any solutions?

Thanks for you time.

CS-SignSupply

If the cutter thinks it is out of material, you can hit the enter key on the keypad and it will continue on.

Sometimes happens if the rear media sensor is tripped.

Does the cutter display any kind of message when it stops?

The Phranc

No message. Just tried a run with a bit of tape over the sensor and it still stopped mid cut. Just sat there doing nothing but with the fan running. Only thing that moved it was unplugging the USB and plugging it back in. That makes it go again. Machine is less than a year old.

CS-SignSupply

Have you tried a new USB cable? Could be loose connection or conflict within your PC on the USB ports and devices using them.

thmooch

less than a year old...I would call Graphtec and get them on it. Tell 'em you need a replacement or loaner till they resolve the issue.

schramm

Have you wireframed your design to see if there is a break in the design. Sometimes it has nothing to do with the machine and everything to do with what you are cutting.

Next low humidity comes with heater running (dont know where you are) but with low humidity as you may know comes static electricity, if the vinyl is running in and out and in and out to do the cuts it will build a static shock to the system.

Questions and Possible Answers:

Is it stopping at the same exact spot each time? If so check the design.

Try wiping down the machine with static free wipes prior to starting the run and while it is running wipe the vinyl as it is coming out. Static is always a big PITA this time of year. Dont know if those will help you but it is worth a try. Also you can try penning the design to see if it will draw it 100% instead of wasting vinyl.

The Phranc

Stops in what appears to be random places. If it stops a second time on the same cut after I restart it by unplugging the USB and plugging it back in there is nothing I can do to restart it.

Static might well be an issue. I'm near DC and its been very cold and very dry.

The next time it happens I'm calling Graphtec again. Called them today to figure out how to update the firmware hoping it would fix the problem.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

schramm

You can replace cables but what it sounds like to me is static. There is a way to remedy this problem by getting a schematic of machine and finding the main ground and loosen the screw and wrap a copper coated wire to the ground then down to the aluminum frame of your machine. I had an issue with my old machine 2 years ago and it worked like a charm. I thought about doing that to my new machine VE Q100 but so far no issues.

You will find that static at this time of the year will even effect the best of the best as well as the cheep ones. If it was stopping at the same time every time I would defiantly say to wire frame your art and look closely in the area it stops for missing parts (been there), but what you are explaining at this time of the year sounds defiantly like a static issue.

TRY THIS: Cut off 8" more then you need and SHEET feed it. Before you start the cutting wipe everything down, chances are it will cut properly then as the friction will be lowered greatly. If that doesn't work make notes and contact Graphtec. If you can pen it onto paper then I would also think that it is a static issue as the paper doesn't create static like vinyl.

round man

I would check my plot spooler options for the port the plotter is connected to,.....it sounds like a problem with the plot spooler sending only part of the file and then there is an interruption of sorts so the second part of the plot file doesn't reach the plotter and or the buffer settings are wrong and there is a buffer overflow,..in plain english the computer is sending more info to the plotter than the built in memory on the plotter can handle,....