• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Celtec (PVC) vs HUD as sign background

chuck1027

I'm working on a large sign design (10'w x 12'h). I'm debating on which material to use for the background. Custom prismatic letters, a ribbon plus other carvings will be attached (all HUD). We will use a steel structure behind for support. Will ship-lap panels 3 @ 4x10 stacked on top of each other. What are the major concerns with each material? I'm more familiar with HUD, esp regarding finishing. Not sure of the best way to finish the PVC product. The HUD would normally be primed and painted with exterior latex paints. Is that same paint combo effective on PVC?

Letterbox Mike

I'd use HDU for the background too. PVC's expansion and contraction rate is significantly more than HDU, I'd be scared the first time the temperature goes up and down all of your attached HUD elements will be on the ground. Plus, a sign that size made of what I'd assume will be somewhat thick PVC will weigh an ungodly ton, especially with a fabricated steel frame. Not sure if that's an issue but it's something to consider.

Personally I like PVC for outdoor jobs in the right circumstances, we've got many many PVC signs out there, but for this, I wouldn't do it. Even if your HDU pieces stay stuck, you'll have noticeable gaps where the panels meet no matter how much you try to disguise them.

Another thing you might try is maybe 6mm Polymetal or Dibond. That may be a less expensive and more dimensionally stable alternative.

chuck1027

Thanks for the reply. I was concerned about the weight and the expansion/contraction factors, too. I think I'll stick with the HUD.

signmeup

Thanks for the reply. I was concerned about the weight and the expansion/contraction factors, too. I think I'll stick with the HUD.
"HUD" is the acronym for "heads up display". "HDU" is used to describe "high density urethane".

PVC that big would keep me awake at night. I'd go with all HDU.