• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Certified 1 Owner" car had more than 1. Now what?

signage

As long as you keep up with the timing in these motors you will never have a problem with the chain.

I disagree with you on this being I have changed a few for freinds. The chains stretch and the gears to get worn. They will outlast any timing belt! I have been working on vehicles since the mid 1970's. 230,000 miles is chump change on one of those engines as long as it is maintained properly.

qmr55

I disagree with you on this being I have changed a few for freinds. The chains stretch and the gears to get worn. They will outlast any timing belt! I have been working on vehicles since the mid 1970's. 230,000 miles is chump change on one of those engines as long as it is maintained properly.

Timing chains will last forever. They don't stretch...over time you will see the links wear out and cause it to be out of timing. Also you rarely will find that a SB Chevy timing chain broke. The weakest point in the system is the cam gear, but if you keep it well maintained...you won't have a problem with these. Yes you are correct the cam gear is the only one that will ever have a problem because of the "nylon" (plastic) finish they have to them.

cajun312

Timing chains do stretch, changed plenty of them when I was a mechanic.

There is another website besides carfax that tracks your vehicle history, I think it's vehiclehistoryinc.com

qmr55

Timing chains do stretch, changed plenty of them when I was a mechanic.

There is another website besides carfax that tracks your vehicle history, I think it's vehiclehistoryinc.com

They don't stretch, links get worn out causing it to loosen and throw timing off.

signage

They don't stretch, links get worn out causing it to loosen and throw timing off.

What do you think a worn link causes? STRETCHING!

Every chain and cable stretch, some faster than others!

Also if they didn't wear out you wouldn't find them in parts stores! Ask any ASE mechanic and they will tell you they stretch and wear out, even the gears wear where the chain will skip a tooth, so you seem to be a little misinformed on your engine knowledge!

Last edited:

qmr55

Links wearing out does not by any means mean stretching. It's actually two different things. Hey well we're getting off topic now, so lets get back on point.

OP...change the BELT because BELTS are shi**y! It's worth the investment

signage

If you measure the length of the chain with tight links and loose links the length of the chain is greater with the loose links, so what does that mean? If it isn't stretching then what is it?

And if you want something to last forever in you Chevy motor then use one of these setups!!!

Also most of the problems with the belts is not the stretching it is the breaking/snapping, that is the reason for the tensioner to take up the slop!

Attachments

• timing gear setup.jpg
    timing gear setup.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 50

qmr55

If you measure the length of the chain with tight links and loose links the length of the chain is greater with the loose links, so what does that mean? If it isn't stretching then what is it? Its called wearing...wearing and stretching are two different things.

And if you want something to last forever in you Chevy motor then use one of these setups!!!

Also most of the problems with the belts is not the stretching it is the breaking/snapping, that is the reason for the tensioner to take up the slop! - Completely agree.

I keep these in stock for doing rebuilds on SBs...

Attachments

• geardrive-733x604.jpg
    geardrive-733x604.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 53

signage

Its called wearing...wearing and stretching are two different things.

Maybe in your mind but ask any mechanical engineer and they will tell you that it is stretching. stretching is when something gets longer! Also if a timing chain will last forever why to you have those in stock for rebuilds, why not just install another chain? Oh because they do go bad and strecth! OMIF

qmr55

Its called wearing...wearing and stretching are two different things.

Maybe in your mind but ask any mechanical engineer and they will tell you that it is stretching. stretching is when something gets longer! Also if a timing chain will last forever why to you have those in stock for rebuilds, why not just install another chain? Oh because they do go bad and strecth! OMIF

My grandfather is in his 70s and has been a mechanical engineer and a mechanic all his life. I'll ask him, thanks for the advice.

Wanna know why we keep them in stock? We use them in race engines. Good try but you should OMIF now.

signage

I knew you raced! But you are the one that said they last forever! Why are you changing your story now???????????????

qmr55

I knew you raced! But you are the one that said they last forever! Why are you changing your story now???????????????

Timing chains will last forever and I stand behind that. We use the gears in motors that are turning excessive RPMs.

signage

If they last forever why would one find on a search how to test them?

Hear is one article on them stretching:
As chain driven cams accumulate mileage, chain stretch and gear wear introduce slop into the system. Most chains will go up to 100,000 miles or more, but not always. As a rule, when there is more than about half an inch of play between the gears on a V6 or V8, it is time for a new chain and gear set (always refer to the vehicle manufacturer's specifications for maximum acceptable chain play). Most engine rebuilders will replace the timing chain and gear set when overhauling an engine anyway rather than take a chance on reusing worn components

So just because you are a weekend worrier of a racer doesn't make you a master mechanic! So when you want a engine built right contact the correct person! You better stay doing signs for a living and keep your hobby racing and rebuilding your own engines.hehehe

qmr55

If they last forever why would one find on a search how to test them?

Hear is one article on them stretching:
As chain driven cams accumulate mileage, chain stretch and gear wear introduce slop into the system. Most chains will go up to 100,000 miles or more, but not always. As a rule, when there is more than about half an inch of play between the gears on a V6 or V8, it is time for a new chain and gear set (always refer to the vehicle manufacturer's specifications for maximum acceptable chain play). Most engine rebuilders will replace the timing chain and gear set when overhauling an engine anyway rather than take a chance on reusing worn components

So just because you are a weekend worrier of a racer doesn't make you a master mechanic! So when you want a engine built right contact the correct person! You better stay doing signs for a living and keep your hobby racing and rebuilding your own engines.hehehe

I have no comment to a childish response like this. I'm out.

iSign

That certified one owners stuff is just a sales pitch...

...I grew up on a used car lot as a kid.

...Lying about 1 owner is fairly pedestrian stuff.

...this explains a lot of things :omg: (including some of your "one-owner logos" on your web site :Big Laugh)

Mainframe

The chain rollers wear at the bearing load surface in each link, this causes excessive clearance in the link bearing & adds up to a longer chain when measured end to end or compared to a newer chain. Each link having play can quickly add up to a loose chain. This would account for using the term "stretched". I spent 25 years working on cars for Dodge, Chevrolet, Honda, Audi & Porsche. I don't think they actually "stretch" until you get them over 600 degrees or put a blower on top of the motor.

To the original poster, your mechanic "Technician" is correct, he has to almost remove it to tell if it all has been replaced, my advise, if the car is nice & you plan on keeping it & taking trip etc, get a new t-belt & w-pump & be done with it, otherwise you are headed for a surprise valve crashing party out in the middle of no where and I bet you will be short on beer for it. good luck