• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CET COLOR X-Press FK512 flatbed.. thoughts?

10sacer

Ohhh... let me see on this. First off - A Rastek is definitely not a Vutek. If you think of Vutek as the Lexus of the wide format world - then the Rastek is the Scion line. Not that they don't have a place in the market - but there really is not much of a comparison to be made.

On to CET - I have unit number 001 - so I am a fairly new adopter to technology. Before I go on - I used to work for DuPont in the Cromaprint 22UV days - and we used to tell people all the time that a company as big as DuPont was going to be in this industry for the long term - 3 years later they were gone, so don't give a lot of credence to the buying principle of who you think will be around - in this day and age - you never know. Did anyone think Gandi would fold? Did anyone see Gerber imploding? You buy a machine based on a 2-3 year ROI and make your money and pay it off and get the next best thing that comes along regardless of the manufacturer. There is a reason there are so many different makes and models of UV printers - there is a diversity of print providers in the industry and everyone can't afford a $900K Durst or a $500K Vutek. There is a place for the $80K machines - but it depends on your current and projected workflow, your image quality needs, your turnaround times and your budget. I bought mine based on the ease of operation and the superior image quality to anything that was around here at the time. I am surrounded by guys that bought bigger,faster printers to do wholesale work - so anything of substantial size - i send it out. Its the best of all worlds - I can do high quality with fast turnaround here and I can do production runs by sending elsewhere.

OK - back to CET. I bought mine in July of last year and it has performed flawlessly since. I only run in 720x720 or 720x1440 due to my customer's needs. Only time I ever print in a faster mode is for cheap coroplast signs - and I don't do those that often as everyone gives them away down here.

Support is more personal than anyone elses. I have cell numbers of the two main guys so I can call direct and ask a question and get a quick answer. Try doing that at Vutek, HP or Durst with any regularity. There are alot of HP's in my area and every single one of the owner's/operators despises HP's service and response times. How pissed would you be if your $400K TurboJet was down for a week with no plan of action?

Image quality is fantastic with the Konica 512 heads. White ink actually is white and lays down a nice even layer with no banding.

Speed is what it is and you know that going in - so if you need 20 4x8 boards an hour - then that is your gating item and there are machines that can do it - but probably not for $80K.

The newer models are much faster than mine and the quality is similar. They are using different heads in the newer ones.

As far as it being "Chinese" - who gives a crap. 3/4 of everything that you own is made there. Would that prevent you from buying Chinese? If so - take back every computer you own, and your cell phone, and your iPod, most of your clothes, etc. As long as the people selling the machines and distributing them stand behind the product - thats all you need and CET has been more than fair and generous when I have done stupid crap to break my unit. They had an issue with the UV bulbs and sent me two replacements at no cost. They didn't have to do that.

Paul - if you have specific questions - send me a PM and I will give you my honest answers.

Sean

CS-SignSupply-TT

Don't forget to talk to Jack Skidmore at CET; a longtime veteran in the sign printing industry including stops at Charette (long gone, but not forgotten), Encad, Seiko, and now CET

MWorks

Ohhh... let me see on this. First off - A Rastek is definitely not a Vutek. If you think of Vutek as the Lexus of the wide format world - then the Rastek is the Scion line. Not that they don't have a place in the market - but there really is not much of a comparison to be made.

On to CET - I have unit number 001 - so I am a fairly new adopter to technology. Before I go on - I used to work for DuPont in the Cromaprint 22UV days - and we used to tell people all the time that a company as big as DuPont was going to be in this industry for the long term - 3 years later they were gone, so don't give a lot of credence to the buying principle of who you think will be around - in this day and age - you never know. Did anyone think Gandi would fold? Did anyone see Gerber imploding? You buy a machine based on a 2-3 year ROI and make your money and pay it off and get the next best thing that comes along regardless of the manufacturer. There is a reason there are so many different makes and models of UV printers - there is a diversity of print providers in the industry and everyone can't afford a $900K Durst or a $500K Vutek. There is a place for the $80K machines - but it depends on your current and projected workflow, your image quality needs, your turnaround times and your budget. I bought mine based on the ease of operation and the superior image quality to anything that was around here at the time. I am surrounded by guys that bought bigger,faster printers to do wholesale work - so anything of substantial size - i send it out. Its the best of all worlds - I can do high quality with fast turnaround here and I can do production runs by sending elsewhere.

OK - back to CET. I bought mine in July of last year and it has performed flawlessly since. I only run in 720x720 or 720x1440 due to my customer's needs. Only time I ever print in a faster mode is for cheap coroplast signs - and I don't do those that often as everyone gives them away down here.

Support is more personal than anyone elses. I have cell numbers of the two main guys so I can call direct and ask a question and get a quick answer. Try doing that at Vutek, HP or Durst with any regularity. There are alot of HP's in my area and every single one of the owner's/operators despises HP's service and response times. How pissed would you be if your $400K TurboJet was down for a week with no plan of action?

Image quality is fantastic with the Konica 512 heads. White ink actually is white and lays down a nice even layer with no banding.

Speed is what it is and you know that going in - so if you need 20 4x8 boards an hour - then that is your gating item and there are machines that can do it - but probably not for $80K.

The newer models are much faster than mine and the quality is similar. They are using different heads in the newer ones.

As far as it being "Chinese" - who gives a crap. 3/4 of everything that you own is made there. Would that prevent you from buying Chinese? If so - take back every computer you own, and your cell phone, and your iPod, most of your clothes, etc. As long as the people selling the machines and distributing them stand behind the product - thats all you need and CET has been more than fair and generous when I have done stupid crap to break my unit. They had an issue with the UV bulbs and sent me two replacements at no cost. They didn't have to do that.

Paul - if you have specific questions - send me a PM and I will give you my honest answers.

Sean
Great feedback. Thanks everyone.

Sounds like overall, a good experience with the CET. Speed is not a number one driver for us; but, performance is! Guess the new units with the Spectra heads will give a bit of a speed boost over the FX512.

Did speak with one other CET user and although the print quality impressed; downtime was a bit of an issue.

Does anyone have feedback on the new Roland LEJ-640? Like the idea of an LED flatbed .... energy savings, etc.? But, this unit does have its limitations, especially for media thickness. Any thoughts?

HulkSmash

Does anyone have feedback on the new Roland LEJ-640? Like the idea of an LED flatbed .... energy savings, etc.? But, this unit does have its limitations, especially for media thickness. Any thoughts?

It's Roland first generation flatbed, i'd stay as far away from it as possible..
The CET is in a different league then the Roland. It's like little league and MLB

Mspec

I saw the Roland print at a show not long ago, and the image quality was very nice. They had a number of varnished pieces that looked quite impressive, but the workflow leaves room for improvement. Varnish is applied during a second pass, and some of the more beautiful work they showed actually had 4 layers of varnish applied ( ran the board through 4 times )

The issue with most LED units is they lack the UV intensity that allows high throughput. ( resulting in very low output speeds ) The good tradeoff is little heat transfer to sensitive media, and long "bulb" life, but it is like watching paint dry - in a swamp....

I would like the Roland is I were a shop that did short runs of really high quality work, but I would hate to have to try and run a pallet of 4x8's through it in under a week. Give me a belt fed device for that!

10sacer

My CET has 4 heads of white. I can switch over two of the heads to varnish and print and coat all inline in one print session. Depending on your lay down order - you could print 4/c, white and varnish all in one fell swoop.

I have used my standard cure - hi-heat UV lamps to print to .005 polyethylene to create mockups for paint rollers and it worked fine with one lamp on in second pass position and printing white as a back layer.

10sacer

Don't discount anybody's printer based on one shops reported downtime issues without fully knowing that shop's individual workflow and maintenance schedules.

Great feedback. Thanks everyone.

Sounds like overall, a good experience with the CET. Speed is not a number one driver for us; but, performance is! Guess the new units with the Spectra heads will give a bit of a speed boost over the FX512.

Did speak with one other CET user and although the print quality impressed; downtime was a bit of an issue.

10sacer

How much experience would you like for the FLORA models?

Worked with FLORA for 3 years when DuPont was in this market. FLORA made our 22UV model. FLORA is a good Chinese company that will build them as you design them.

I am not entirely sure that you can buy a FLORA printer here in the US due to distribution agreements with manufacturers that "resell" their products under different badges. I know they can sell in Latin America and maybe Canada. I am sure someone can answer this one for me.

Biggest issue with FLORA is localized service and support... not very strong.

MWorks

Don't discount anybody's printer based on one shops reported downtime issues without fully knowing that shop's individual workflow and maintenance schedules.
Absolutely. Agreed ... it is always best to get a balanced opinion from as many users as possible. Before making any purchase, it is good to be aware of the good, the bad, and the ugly. The biggest challenge of purchasing an expensive piece of equipment is to determine reliability as experienced by end users; not just the sales pitch.

artbot

@10sacer (or anyone else that is familiar with the ink arrangement)

does the four time white print in a stacked arrangement? such as each head over prints the one before?

also, in the firmware/rip is there a one pass setting in which the heads can be staggered by re-calibration so that they don't "overprint" each other, rather print an extremely quick high res' pass as a spot color?

10sacer

Its a dual stack - two heads at same carriage postion and two heads staggered about 1.5" closer. This enables you to do white first, white last and inline white as spot without reconfiguration.

You can sort of do what you are asking by limiting the passes to single pass and single hit and using a lower res rip setting if you just want fast flood of white for something - but it probably wouldn't look that great - but depends on what you are trying to achieve.

I do that when I print to really thin polyethylene and don't want the heads near the media for any longer than needed to "flash cure" the inks.

@10sacer (or anyone else that is familiar with the ink arrangement)

does the four time white print in a stacked arrangement? such as each head over prints the one before?

also, in the firmware/rip is there a one pass setting in which the heads can be staggered by re-calibration so that they don't "overprint" each other, rather print an extremely quick high res' pass as a spot color?

MWorks

CET - Funky Media

Hey Guys,

Wondering what the funkiest media that you have ever tried running through your CET?

How were the results? Color? Durability? Longevity? etc.

What was the most challenging media? How did you succeed with it?

Cheers

10sacer

I do alot of product mockups for a paint brush/roller manufacturer that sells products in big box home improvement stores and such.

We came up with a way to print directly to .005 polyethylene - which is pretty heat sensitive. We only fire the trailing lamp in a flash curing pass and it works like a champ printing white ink with it as well. We then heat seal the product into the bag and they have an actual size 3D mockup of product + packaging to show for line reviews for brand managers.

Do you have a specific weird media you are curious about?

Hey Guys,

Wondering what the funkiest media that you have ever tried running through your CET?

How were the results? Color? Durability? Longevity? etc.

What was the most challenging media? How did you succeed with it?

Cheers

garisimo

Curing options for heat sensitive materials

Wondering if it would be possible with these machines to print without using the on-board UV curing; instead using a traditional UV curing conveyor belt. This would (I am guessing) prevent the media from heat distortion during print, as well as allowing you to print at the machine's fastest print setting.

Thoughts?

-g-

10sacer

No way. These are printed in long 125" strips and if the UV ink doesn't dry when being printed - it will be a sloppy mess and there will be mucho banding putting wet ink top of wet ink

Wondering if it would be possible with these machines to print without using the on-board UV curing; instead using a traditional UV curing conveyor belt. This would (I am guessing) prevent the media from heat distortion during print, as well as allowing you to print at the machine's fastest print setting.

Thoughts?

-g-

10sacer

No. Their router program kinda is in limbo. I am in the market for a router/cutter right now. Looking at the Colex model. Don't need a ZUND or a Kongsberg/Esko for the price.

10sacer: are you running their router as well? If so, what are your thoughts on it?