• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CET vs Oce. Thoughts?

wyatt21842

In the market for a new flatbed and narrowed it down to the CET 500Q or the OCE 318GL. Thoughts? We primarily print on small wood signs and other materials that often are not perfectly flat . . . Want something that can handle photos and adhere well. Also don't need the roll option. Thanks in advance, I'm a newbie here!!

artbot

oce isn't upgradable. after you get any flatbed printer, business will pick up more than you expect. you'll be wanting that thing to blow through orders as fast as possible.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Have you looked into the Flora printers at all? We have installed 3 of them so far and they print great quality.

Naskhan

Have you looked at the océ 460? That model is upgradeable if you need the additional speed later. In my opinion the océ has better print quality and I have compared samples printed from my supplied files from both machines.

Dave Philipps

We do not sell either of these machines but I do have a customer in NYC that is looking to sell their OCE to upgrade to a Flora printer , if you have any interest send me a PM and I will get you in touch with the other party. Or if you would like to see a Flora we have one in our showroom and we can demo it for you or print some samples for you.

Thanks

10sacer

Based on your initial detail about printing to non-flat wood - I would think hard about a flatbed. When you ruin $14K in printheads once - you won't want to do it again.

I don't know if anyone has dynamic adjustable head height yet - but thats what you want if your wood curls on end or waves in the middle. At the very least you will drag the heads over your image and ruin your print - at the very worst you will score the heads and make them unusable.

Only other option is to set your head height at the highest point in the wood and deal with the quality fluctuations that will ensue.

All depends on the quality you are after, though.

artbot

you could screw them from the back to a heavy piece of mdf to hold them down flat until they are printed. i wouldn't try on something larger than a 2'x4'.

Nicky Zhou

PrintLinks
We've done some printing on non-flat media, such as the waist line for decoration. It is very hard to work with Konica or Toshiba head, when those heads' low driver voltage, when you raise your carriage height to fit the un-flat media, set the highest point as base, the ink drop flying everywhere.
Since oce, Flora not use such high drive voltage print head, I am not sure they can handle your uneven media.
We print most on Spectra head with a driver voltage over hundred , and max height different can go to 1.8cm, anyhow, customer print most stone finishing on waist line, I am not sure what if print a face on it.. Only suggestion you can look into a high power drop dots heads...
if you like I can show you something we print on...

Molenbeek

The CET can print on materials up to 4" thick! the oce will be limited to 1.89". Also there is the upgradeable factor. You can add white later to the CET- i believe you need to order it with white for the Oce- or you don't get it.

rlarkin

I print on wood all the time with my two CET printers with no problem. I have done small wood parts 1/4" thick up to 2" thick. I have had some parts that are warped so I have screwed them down to some mdf and that worked great and other times I just have masked off the table and the parts were sucked down. I have plenty of pictures to show you of printed artwork on wood.

Wintersun

oce is mega reliable, but a bit slow.
and its picky about the media you print on.
we got rid of a vutek to go the oce route, great machine
wouldn't go back.