• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Change Color Order in Choke Spread?

GoodPeopleFlags

I just upgraded to Omega 3.0. In the previous version, in the Choke/Spread window, it asked you to assign the Top Color. However, in 3.0, it doesn't do that. It just shows the window with the color order already chosen. I tried clicking and dragging one of the colors and moving it up but it won't move. I clicked preferences and nothing happens. I tried changing the order in which I select the 2 colors and no change. I tried making both colors cut-only and changing the order in which I assign the colors and they still come out the same way. Even if that was the case, that's kind of a pain to do sometimes. Any ideas?

Right now I'm printing a blue circle with yellow text and I want to do a choke/spread with the blue the top color. There is also some white it in the graphic so I have to print it on white vinyl instead of yellow. I don't want to print white on yellow because even with a primer, the color doesn't look as good as the plain white vinyl.

GoodPeopleFlags

But it assigns the overlap to the top color. Right now, the top color is yellow so that has the overprint. If I just change the print order in 123, print it first, then the blue on top, it's not going to print the blue with an overprint so the whole reason for using the choke/spread is lost. Right? Won't it knock out the yellow behind it?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
That is correct, but I am talking about the 1234 dialog in Composer ... not the 123 dialog in GSPPlot. It provides for changing the print order.

Attachments

• 1234 dialog.jpg
    1234 dialog.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 110

GoodPeopleFlags

Cool! I never used that before. But I'm still concerned that this won't solve the problem because the yellow is still assigned the overprint for the choke/spread. Aren't I still going to run into the same problem as I would by changing the print order in 123Plot? Sorry if I'm just not getting it!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I know I'm not like everyone else, but I always print lightest colors first. So your design is different from what I can advise on best. But if your yellow is set to overprint then it should be below the blue in the 1234 and the choke/spread should then pick it up as the top color in that operation. If you need blue to be the top color, then that should agree with your print order ... which is shown, of course, in the reverse of choke/spread because it's print order from first to last.

If I were setting up the job, I would have the text and circle in blue and combined and set to overprint on top of an inset yellow circle. I would then run a choke and spread and blue would be the top, overprinting color as well as the last color to print in the 1234 dialog.

GoodPeopleFlags

Omg. I can't believe what a dummy I am. Since I'm used to picking the top color in the other version of Omega, I just had it in my brain that the first color listed is the "Top" color. It's listed on "Top" of the other color so it must be! But noooooooo.... it clearly states "Color Order". Therefore, the first color listed - the one on top - is the first color printed which means it will be on the bottom! D'oh! So everything is fine!

Thanks, Fred, for helping me see the light!

GoodPeopleFlags

Ha!

We're getting our brand new Epson printer in a few days so hopefully I won't have too many more problems like that. Just a whole bunch of new ones!

Thanks!