• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Changed Ink Brand - Now Having Problems With Magenta

96XP

I removed this (question) post as I found the solution.
Thank you.

Last edited:

DoubleDiamond

Just to add if interested... We had an SP-540 and tried Solaris for a few months and cyan kept dropping out because it was clogging the nozzles. Our GSG rep came by and suggested going back to Roland inks and gave us a cyan. It actually repaired the printer. It flushed as it ran through I assume and we never looked back. I am also certain the Roland inks last longer. I was told it's more opaque and the chip on the cartridge causes these adjustments, so are we really saving money? After 6 years of heavy use the inside of our printer around the carriage looked very clean, but a friend of ours had the same exact machine using bourdeux inks and the inside looked like a spray can exploded in there. We assume it's because of the overspray. We both now have the XR .

96XP

Happened upon this older thread just now and noticed the comments to share for future users.
Apologies for not acting sooner.

I pulled the original post as I didn't think it important, so here's my experience in better detail.:

- I had switched ink brands, and as the machine has 12 tanks (doubles) - I switched out one of the Magenta tanks (with one from the new brand) - when after a few prints, began having color/saturation issues.
Spent good time going through everything and couldn't quite put my finger on it. Bad ink? Incompatibility? Damper? Encoder? Do I really need another beer?

And as always, was relying on the ink level screen to be accurate, as well for an audible sound to notify that a tank needs replacing.

All said, not the first time this has happened, however when I finally pulled the other magenta tank which 'appeared' reasonably full (according to that old menu screen) it was in fact bone dry.
And once the new tank got that vital fluid back into the head, both sides of the brain returned with magnificent clarity and has worked great ever since.

Hindsight being 20/20, just recently had this happen once again, with a 'K' tank.

Such as a barn door, am thinking of switching to bulk - in order to have a clear view of what's going on at all times.

Sure, it's an older workhorse, slow out of the stable at times, never complains, and yet we still have a great working relationship; so keep up with the maintenance as/when.
Truth be told, I'll be heartbroken come the day I have to take it behind the barn.