• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Changin Text from PT to Inch in Corel 12

Perks

Would someone know how to change from point to inch setting on the font size list? I have looked in options etc. but nothing is obvious to me.

Perks

signmeup

Go to text, edit text, click options, at the bottom of the pop up window it says "default text units"

SignManiac

Under options, click on workspace, then Text and at the bottom to your right

Another thing to remember. When you change your options, be sure to save those settings. Under tools, third option down, save settings as default. I always save a backup copy of my .xslt file to my desktop so if I ever have to reinstall corel again for any reason, I can simply import my personal settings.

Attachments

• corel text.jpg
    corel text.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 74

GVP

Although this works in as much that it shows inch measurements, a 1" letter doesn't seem to measure 1"....

signage

The reason for this is that test usually has other attributes associated with it and these apply to the size of the text but do not print/draw!

Perks

Well thanks, still, though it won't change. even the formating will indicate the text to be say 3" but it is slightly shorter than a 3" box. Must have to do with where the program was set up and placed on this computer.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Although this works in as much that it shows inch measurements, a 1" letter doesn't seem to measure 1"....

That's because the height specification is the height of the type body, not the type itself. The type body is the rectangle that contains the actual characters. The type body at a minimum must accommodate lower case descenders as well as special character ascenders and descenders. Moreover, in hard type the height of the type body must also accommodate the line spacing as well.

Thus the actual size of an upper case character is usually somewhat smaller than the actual size of the type regardless of it being expresses in points, inches, or axe handles.

For most type faces the height of the type body is fixed and the width is variable, except for numeric characters which have a fixed width so they can line up properly in columns. Hence the concept of em and en spacing. An em being the square of the type body and an en, called a 'nut quad' by typesetters, being half that measure. An en is used for standard word spacing.

Thus endeth the lesson...

signmeup

Just convert to curves and scale it from there. The size reads in the boxes below the text size box anyway without changing the units..

Perks

Ok, Open Options Menu - Customization - Command Bars ... Checking Transform box works for sizing lettering in inches. Seems Illustrator has a tab like this too

Thanks

Perks