• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

changing curve

lil Details

I have an image that I have sold for a windshield banner. I can get a pretty good vector trace on it, but am having fits getting it changed to where it will curve the right way to contour to a windshield top....

I have Inkscape and LXi Apprentice for my software apps...I found a path edit on Inkscape and can bend it just right, but then I look at the vector points and they are still the original image.

Like I said, I have it vectored to where I could use it to cut, but it is curved the wrong way and I am having an issue "bending" it...

Anyone have a suggestion? other than "better" software?

Last edited:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Not do it because Harley Davidson aggressively protects it's brand... and if anyone would do it, they would never want to post about it on an open forum.

Deaton Design

Harley is a trademarked logo, and it is against the copyright laws for any of us to sell them to customers. That being said, at one time or another, all of us have put them on something or the other, but it is more frowned upon now than before. Harley is very protective of their brand and will use the courts to make their points about it. Be very careful.:)

Flame

You are playing with fire. That little job could land you in court being slapped with $50,000 in fines. Do not, DO NOT, touch a Harley logo.

Steve C.

Leave the thread. Others can learn from it and lilDetails is not going to get
in trouble for it...

I have this question... Is it against the law to sell the words "Harley Davidson"?
I don't know if that is an official logo. Maybe it is, what if you just use a font
that is close? Just askin.

And about making the curve. In corel sometimes you must change the image to
curve again in order for the vector points to change. Try that.

Last edited:

Rick

I think Lil detail may be a little slow on the issue, he was warned...

On your comment Steve C, you can not make/sell a logo or type out Harley Davidson as the name is actually trademarked.

By the way, they tried a while back to trademark the sound of a Harley, they gave up, but insist they own the "sound"

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Harley is certainly one of the more aggressive in protectors its brand and, yes, technically you might be liable for all manner of unpleasantness should they first find out you did this and, second decide to pursue you.

On the other side of the equation, Harley has literally hundreds upon hundreds of logos. This may or may not be one of them. Although
it probably is. Then, if you're just doing a one-off for someone, the odds of the black helicopters hovering over your shop while the copyright police rappel down lines and kick your door in are roughly equivalent of the pope converting to Judaism coincident with a complete planetary alignment and full parting of the waters.

Your choice, but know the odds.

There are a lot of tight-asses and worse, wannabe tight-asses, in these waters who always and predictably recoil in horror at the notion of doing what you want to do. If the truth be known they, at least the most of them, have done exactly the same thing in the past. But then you have to temper that by considering that I have a far different view of the curious notion or 'intellectual property' than does the vast majority of people.

Steve C.

I think Lil detail may be a little slow on the issue, he was warned...

On your comment Steve C, you can not make/sell a logo or type out Harley Davidson as the name is actually trademarked.

By the way, they tried a while back to trademark the sound of a Harley, they gave up, but insist they own the "sound"

Thanks Rick. Just wondering because I have letter a few harley tanks in my
day....:Oops: I mean, I know someone who did.:noway:

Rick

Thanks Rick. Just wondering because I have letter a few harley tanks in my
day....:Oops: I mean, I know someone who did.:noway:

You did not paint it on the tank, you tattooed the tank... well not you, but the person you mention.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I have an image that I have sold for a windshield banner. I can get a pretty good vector trace on it, but am having fits getting it changed to where it will curve the right way to contour to a windshield top....

I have Inkscape and LXi Apprentice for my software apps...I found a path edit on Inkscape and can bend it just right, but then I look at the vector points and they are still the original image.

Like I said, I have it vectored to where I could use it to cut, but it is curved the wrong way and I am having an issue "bending" it...

Anyone have a suggestion? other than "better" software?

There is a short tutorial in the premium section for finding the arch of a windshield. Here is a link to it. A premium subscription is required to access it.

Whether or not you will be able to utilize it is an open question with the software you have.