• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Changing dampers, pump and print head question

Briansos

Greetings,

We have x2 JV33-160 mimaki printers. I am wondering if there is a set period of time on when one should change out the print head, pump and dampers? (and if so, why) I usually only do this if there are problems. Lately the colors from the two printers are off (as in arent close to each other, despite using the same profiles). Wondering if i need to chage some hardware or give our tech a call. Thanks.

Rooster

All printers will "wander" over time. The only way to keep two printers consistently printing the same color is by using a device link profile. Although keeping the existing profiles regularly linearized will help maintain consistency.

Time periods between maintenance repairs can be tricky to determine. It's based more off of use than time. I'll replace a head when it becomes clogged, dampers when I start to experience banding or ink supply issues. Specifically banding that occurs in the later stages of long run print jobs where the start of the job looked fine. Pumps get replaced when they fail.

iceman64

If your nozzlechecks are OK, I wouldn't look at the printers, but rather at your Rip-software and recalibrate the color-profiles as they tend to wearout as well over time....

MachServTech

If your nozzlechecks are OK, I wouldn't look at the printers, but rather at your Rip-software and recalibrate the color-profiles as they tend to wearout as well over time....

Exactly what I was getting at. Re-calibration of your existing profiles will get your machines to print much more similar than they are right now.

iceman64

If you're not familiair with colorcalibration, ask the company were you bought the printers to have it done.
Colorcalibration as a very precisie thing, it makes the printers print the right color.

I am not sure if Wasatch has the possibility to colorcalibrate, if so, you have to have an I-one or spectrometer.
When you want to do it yourself , make profiles on both machines and don't copy the one to the other, to prevent colorchange.

Good luck.....

Typestries

agreed with iceman, each machine needs its own profile, period. If you make the same type of profile on each, they should print exactly the same. And yes, you need to reprofile seasonally (unless you are in a 100% climate controlled room year round)or after a major change like a head swap out.
All things printer salespeople never seem to mention.......

Briansos

If you're not familiair with colorcalibration, ask the company were you bought the printers to have it done.
Colorcalibration as a very precisie thing, it makes the printers print the right color.

This sounds like a good plan. I am always one for having something done right. Thanks to all for their helpful insights.