• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Changing Heads

I just purchased a mutoh falcon outdoor 62" and the heads are clogged. All of the lines are clear and clean, are the heads easy to change anything special that needs to be done? Thereis a service guy in the area that charges 150. an hour and he said its a tricky job because if the current isnt right it can fry the new head. just wondering if this is true or just a sales pitch.

artbot

he could be discussing maybe one of three "current" issues. one, if you are properly grounded. changing a head is like any other repair to electronics. just like changing memory, or anything else in a computer... latent static charge can zap the board. not having the printer ribbons seated properly and plugged into the proper locations after install. and most likely, each head has a "head rank voltage" (it's called many things). the heads have different sensitivities to voltage, which is what spits the ink out, so you input these numbers into the service menu for each head. i've personally never heard of it damaging a head (although there may be someone that can contest that). it has more to do with print performance. i've spoke with some techs that have said they've experimented with piezo printer head ranks and couldn't see the difference with the naked eye.

if you want to change heads, i'd look up a lot of info, photos, etc. and if you feel you can do it, go for it. techs are good for diagnosing shorts with motors, boards, and such, but changing heads is slowly becoming the job of the printer's owner.

Ghost Prophet

I did it myself the first week working with the Falcon. Took a while to figure out but was a pretty simple and harmless process. I recommend doing it yourself in the future.

threeputt

Just yesterday I had a head changed out on our Roland. Don't know if the Mutoh is similar or not. But with all the processes involved I think you're bucks ahead to hire a tech.

Aside from the task itself (and assuming you make no mistakes current wise) there's always the head alignment issues. Don't know how you'd handle that by yourself.

Also, my guy did a "once-over" on the machine while he was here, adjusting this and that to make it run optimally. Cable tension, etc.

I'm glad we hired a certified Roland tech.