• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Changing Mimaki printheads

damones1st

Hello Forum,
Long time reader, first time poster. I have 2 Mimaki printers that were purchased almost 18 months apart. The print quality between the two is very close. However, the wear and tear of usage on the first printer is causing the quality to deteriorate and differentiate from the newer printer. My question is this; if I were to replace the printhead, the cables, the dampers and all the stuff that goes along with the printhead, will that be enough to return the printer to its previous print quality. Also, should I then replace the printhead on the newer printer even though it has not printing issues?

J Hill Designs

Hello Forum,
Long time reader, first time poster. I have 2 Mimaki printers that were purchased almost 18 months apart. The print quality between the two is very close. However, the wear and tear of usage on the first printer is causing the quality to deteriorate and differentiate from the newer printer. My question is this; if I were to replace the printhead, the cables, the dampers and all the stuff that goes along with the printhead, will that be enough to return the printer to its previous print quality. Also, should I then replace the printhead on the newer printer even though it has not printing issues?

a) maybe :cool:

b) shouldn't need to, no.

damones1st

Trying to determine...

If it's easier [read: cheaper] to have the existing printhead replaced or recovered (but is recovery enough return the printhead to a better print quality). Probably cheaper to have it recovered because all other info says to replace any & everything that has to do with the action of the printhead.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If it's easier [read: cheaper] to have the existing printhead replaced or recovered (but is recovery enough return the printhead to a better print quality). Probably cheaper to have it recovered because all other info says to replace any & everything that has to do with the action of the printhead.

Recovery success depends on how old the head is, what type of ink you are using and how long the nozzles have been clogged. I would estimate that recovery is successful less than 50% of the time in my experience. If nozzle washes and cleaning cycles are not recovering the heads, you could try flushing the head with cleaning solution and a syringe as a last resort. I have not heard good things about the head recovery machines and services and have no evidence that an ultra sonic cleaner does any better than a simple flush. If your head nozzles are deformed or eroded from years of solvent ink running through, there is nothing that will fix them. Post a nozzle check and we can help diagnose easier.

damones1st

Instead of a nozzle test print

I decided to attach an image that directly represents the problem. The blue from printer #1 is not as crisp and clean as the blue from printer #2. I have this problem with printer #1 with pms 293 and similar or darker blues, greens, and reds that get close to browns or transition from deep red to brown.

So the question I'm posting regards to improving the print quality of printer #1 through printhead replacement is whether or not replacing the printhead on printer #1 will in fact return its print quality to something similar to printer #2?

Attachments

• blue.example.jpg
    blue.example.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 170

damones1st

After speaking with a tech he suggested that I try a re-linearization first and to do it on both printers. Since that will cost next to nothing I'm going to try that first and see if that will provide me with 2 printers with similar quality.

MikePro

can't expect anyone to give you advice without proper printer description & nozzle test print.
could be as simple a fix as a media feed compensation or a good-cleaning.

linearization of your printer may be a fix, or may be your demise... done improperly, you'll have two identical printers with completely different outputs.
doing-so properly, however, still requires your heads to be firing at 100% in the first place.

and welcome to signs101.

DIGIXTRA

Digixtra
I decided to attach an image that directly represents the problem. The blue from printer #1 is not as crisp and clean as the blue from printer #2. I have this problem with printer #1 with pms 293 and similar or darker blues, greens, and reds that get close to browns or transition from deep red to brown.

So the question I'm posting regards to improving the print quality of printer #1 through printhead replacement is whether or not replacing the printhead on printer #1 will in fact return its print quality to something similar to printer #2?
If time is not an issue.. you can extend the life of #1 printer printheads by double the printing passes (16 passes? if possible). You will see the quality would match #2 printer..

damones1st

Well I tried a variety of things with no consistent results. However, I did find out that both printheads are well over 12 billion head shots so I'm resigned to the fact that neither printhead can be 'restored' to better quality. A local tech suggested that I re-profile both printers and dumb down the better quality printing printer to that of the printer with lesser quality. My abbreviation to this strategy was to remove the profiles from one rip station & replace them with copies from the other rip station. Comparative quality has improved but overall problem (blue color gamut print quality) remains.

I have attached a test print for further investigation & input.
Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• test.draw.print.jpg
    test.draw.print.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 163