• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Changing my business name...some advice from insiders....

Tony Rome

Hey everybody, I am changing my business name and could really use your help.
I wanted to get the opinion from owners/employees inside the business.
I have been going back and forth for months and I think I have what I want, so I will share that as well.
The reason I am asking here is because I want to get your first impression what you think a customer would think (or what you think) when you hear the word GRAPHICS, for example in the names...Joe's Graphics or Philly Graphics (neither are the name I am considering) I am just wondering if the word graphics is misleading.

This is what I do...
Screen Printing & Embroidery
Signs/Banners/Vehicle lettering/Wraps
Plus I am really getting into more custom things like ceiling tiles, man cave foam signs, and want to leave the door open for anything that is a little more custom/creative.

My business is in this order
1.T-Shirts(Screen printing)
2. Signs
3. Wraps

I want it to be
1. Signs
2. Wraps
3. T-shirts

That is based on profitability.
We started as screen printing only.

So what does Graphics say to you?
Because Printing to me says offset/business cards, etc...so I scratched that idea.

I even thought about
(Surname) Signsandshirts
(Surname) Signsandmore

Thanks for any help you can give me...I am really burned out on this.
Thanks!

Tony Rome

Thank you for your suggestion, I have read many books, I understand logo design and branding, marketing, sales, etc...
I am simply looking for opinions on the word graphics being used in reference to what I do.
Thanks.

Snydo

maybe Surname Graphics & Wraps, since you want to push the wrap aspect of your business. I'm sure some of the gurus will chime in on this one. Best of Luck.

visual800

Graphics is such an overused term these days and when I hear it I think of some dude with Fellers wrap software making decals for motorcross bikes.

i do like the word "services" or maybe "branders." I think it all depends on what kind of work you put out. Good or bad

Billct2

Graphics is too vague, everything from quick print to someone with a computer and copy of adobe. Also, are you using your name for the "surname" that's another thing I don't like. I think a professional name with a good tag line coupled with effective marketing is best. ie Awesome Signs / signs Wraps t shirts & more

Speedsterbeast

Personally, what I DO NOT like in business names:

1) Using your name, or initials of the owners. ie: Bob's Signs or B&T Signs
2) I HATE the word "Solutions" in either the name or tagline. Not sure why.I just hate it
3) I also think "clever" spelling changes are unimaginative and cheesy. ie: Graffix Trenzz

Just my 1.8 cents (I'm Canadian and our dollar is down, so it's not even worth 2 cents)

VL

Its funny you bring this up. I too am considering a name change. Its tough because we have been using the same name for years but we have moved in a way different direction, so the old name just sounds old. I think having graphics in your name is good. It helps people know what you do. One of my conditions in finding a new name is that it can also be purchased as a domain name too. I want it to be 3 words with a .com this will make it simple and easy to read and remember.

CES020

My guess is that the vast majority of the public don't know what "Graphics" means or don't know what a company with "Graphics" in their title exactly do. I'd doubt people are coming in the door because they see that word in the name. If that's part of your name and people come in, I would suspect it's because they see other indications on your vehicle, building, business card, or website that tell them you do what they need done.

Just my opinion.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately, it's not as easy as just choosing a new name. You'll need a new web address and may want to go the LLC. or INC. route. To avoid disappointment, start checking availability long before you settle on the perfect name.

Tony Rome

Personally, what I DO NOT like in business names:

1) Using your name, or initials of the owners. ie: Bob's Signs or B&T Signs
2) I HATE the word "Solutions" in either the name or tagline. Not sure why.I just hate it
3) I also think "clever" spelling changes are unimaginative and cheesy. ie: Graffix Trenzz

Just my 1.8 cents (I'm Canadian and our dollar is down, so it's not even worth 2 cents)

with you one million %
I especially hate number 3.

Tony Rome

My guess is that the vast majority of the public don't know what "Graphics" means or don't know what a company with "Graphics" in their title exactly do. I'd doubt people are coming in the door because they see that word in the name. If that's part of your name and people come in, I would suspect it's because they see other indications on your vehicle, building, business card, or website that tell them you do what they need done.

Just my opinion.
also true.

Tony Rome

Graphics is too vague, everything from quick print to someone with a computer and copy of adobe. Also, are you using your name for the "surname" that's another thing I don't like. I think a professional name with a good tag line coupled with effective marketing is best. ie Awesome Signs / signs Wraps t shirts & more
Thanks, I am using my location for the Surname...I agree with you, Tony's Graphics...never gonna happen, lol.

Tony Rome

Unfortunately, it's not as easy as just choosing a new name. You'll need a new web address and may want to go the LLC. or INC. route. To avoid disappointment, start checking availability long before you settle on the perfect name.

Definitely, that is not a big problem for me, as the town I am using has a lot available.

Tony Rome

others I am tossing around...
(City) Screenprinting and Signs
(City) Print and Sign, Sign and Print, Screen and Sign (Printing)
(City) Screenprinting and Signs...Sooo long and boring, but to the point.
(City) Shirts and Signs
(City) Signs and Printing

(City) Graphics is so easy, can't misspell it, doesn't limit me...anyone hate this? Why?

Maybe (City) Graphics with a tagline referring to Signs, Shirts, Wraps.

Tony Rome

if anyone is following me in my misery, I have decided after MUCH thought to drop the city in front.
So I am back to square one, but feel better about the direction.
I will keep you updated...if anyone still cares, lol.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Surname...Signs & Graphics

Perhaps go one step further. We go by "Name & Company" and just below that in smaller text, we have a partial tag line stating the nature of our business.

For example (not really our business name):

Jones & Company
Floor Restoration

With the rapid pace of technology, it's important to choose a name that allows you room to grow without having to continually re-brand.

As our business has evolved over the years, we've made very slight modifications to our tag line to better define who we are, yet we always keep the same name so people will continue to remember who we are.

I can think of a few businesses in our area who, for whatever reason, have re-branded numerous times but have never stayed consistent with any brand...in any shape or form.

Also...don't use "& More"...ever. It's one of my biggest pet peeves. I once called a beauty salon to ask if "& More" meant they also offered stud service for hairless Chihuahuas. Unfortunately, they didn't...but then again, how was I to know?
JB

wildside

(City) Graphics is so easy, can't misspell it, doesn't limit me...anyone hate this? Why?

We did a name change at the end of 2012. We dropped the name graphics, number one thing we always heard was "how do you spell graphics?"..... we owned all the spellings so didnt matter....

The first part of our name stayed the same, everyone knows us as wildside anyway. I think the name graphics is very limiting and hated the name for years and years. In 2010 dan helped us with a rebrand that even today we are still working on the changeover. Even kept the word graphics in the name even though I hated it. When we did change the name, no one really noticed as I said, they know us by the first part.

If your name is established it is difficult to change because you will be losing the brand value built into the recognition of the current name. Unless you are known for an ambiguous name that doesn't say a specific like signs graphics etc, in our case wildside is known and most people even write the check to just that.

Naming it with the city will limit you. People sometime will not call you, because you only work in your city, or so they think. Get a little more creative, dont limit yourself. Some of the best names out there are not associated with anything other than memorable.

Tony Rome

Thanks a lot guys, truly appreciate it.
I like DigiPrinter's advice (City) Signs and Graphics.
But I am really thinking about going away from limiting myself with the City for the reasons Widlside mentioned, I was thinking the same thing.
It is hard when you want to cash in on a growing City, and when you want to appeal to other states online as well.

I thought if I did something like (City) Screenprinting and Signs or Screenprinting and Graphics I could always use S&S or S&G as an alias for out of town.

This is very frustrating.

I had two of my close friends/clients give me a name they love, and they are both respected in my eyes as idea men/business men.
They both love
(City) Design and Print or
Design and Print Plus.
I think I hate it.