• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Changing number of passes

bpfohler

Just got our 115 set up and ran some decals. We’re having trouble getting a rich looking royal blue so I wanted to change th number of passes.
No really sure how to go about changing the settings? Do I have to clone the material, create a name and modify the settings?

AF

Make a new profile at the higher pass count. Most likely, the ink limit will increase which will improve your color. It’s still CMYK so won’t be able to get certain colors to look good.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
What pass are you wanting to run? Higher pass count doesn't generally change your colors....they will only appear more solid. In other words, a correctly profiled media with a 6 pass, 8 pass, 10 pass should all look the same, colorwise. The higher pass count print might appear a little more vivid, as the colors will be a little more solid. So to hit the blue you want, you will need to probably choose another blue. And you can increase the ink limit for lower pass setting, but you run the risk of it not drying properly if your heat isn't high enough, and you don't want that too high or your media will warp. Yep, there's some fine lines with these printers.

AF

I have found that at 10 pass you will be able to hit nearly the entire gamut of the printer on typical media. Higher passes allow for slightly better ink splits for smoother images.

6 pass could have banding and will certainly require a grainier profile. 4 pass looks horrible.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The number of passes isn't going to change colors, just make them bolder.

To what are your rendering intents set? What are you sending, bitmap or vector? CMYK or RGB?

AKwrapguy

Just got our 115 set up and ran some decals. We’re having trouble getting a rich looking royal blue so I wanted to change th number of passes.
No really sure how to go about changing the settings? Do I have to clone the material, create a name and modify the settings?

While pass count might be your issue it could also be ink density (which is how much ink is actually layed down). So if you do increase your ink density you should also increase your number of passes, which also means that you will also have to adjust the curing temp as well.

bpfohler

I have found that at 10 pass you will be able to hit nearly the entire gamut of the printer on typical media. Higher passes allow for slightly better ink splits for smoother images.

6 pass could have banding and will certainly require a grainier profile. 4 pass looks horrible.
thanks to everyone, it's all great information but... as I asked in the original question, how do you change the pass and density settings for my substrate???? Do I have to create a new profile????

spooledUP7

You need to print this file. http://www.signmakersltd.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/PMS_Color_Chart.pdf
before making any changes. Compare the output of your colors to a Pantone color book. If the colors are close then simply choose the best looking blue you can find and source this color in your work. If you don't own a pantone book then you should really get one or else you printing blind.

Most RIPS have a built in spot color management color control profile for Pantone and other color books so be sure this is enabled in the profile presets. Look for something like "Use Spot Color Mapping" or so similar.

Finally, you may just be using the wrong media profile. You can try other profiles and see what produces the best results.

spooledUP7

thanks to everyone, it's all great information but... as I asked in the original question, how do you change the pass and density settings for my substrate???? Do I have to create a new profile????
I say yes and no. You need to create a new preset if you do not have access to a higher pass profile. Simply copy your normal profile presets and name it a higher pass then change the driver settings for your printer to increase the pass count and direction.