• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Changing/Repairing VJ-1638WX Mainboard

Masseria

Hello guys, thanks for all the tips and advice in advance.

Here is the situation.

My mutoh 1638WX had an ink leakege from the spitting box going down all the way to the mainboard with only 3 months of use. We are using J-teck Italian inks for sublimation.

The problem here is that we've called mutoh official service, but the techincian didnt find the problem and told us to keep on printing.
The second time we called the technician was because its started to drop ink from the mainboard/power supply box.(beneath the machine). and it was already too late when they came...
Ink was all over the mainboard, and one of the flat cables was set on fire. melting a little bit its socket. (the display stopped working).

Mutoh service says that they wont be responsible of this repair (machine was never touched by us because of warranty). im telling them that it was technician's fault / neglicence for not checking the actual problem and telling us to keep on working.

So story short, we are very angry with mutoh. and now we want how to make this machine alive again.

1st possible situation: Send the mainboard to an electronic engineer for reparing the sockets. this might work or not, depends if other things are broken as well and it will cost around 1/4 or half of a new one.

2nd possibility: buying a new mainboard on my own and make the installation. but here is the thing:
AS far as i know for the mutoh 1638 you must send some digits to mutoh so they can "activate" or return some value for you to use the mainboard on that machine. Meaning that i'll need to communicate with them for activating.
Im probably buying from DGP, and they told me that they could help me in that installation. but i dont know if i can trust them and making a bet of 1,300 dollars..

So have any of you had been in a similar situation?
did anyone change a 1638 mainboard so i can know how to make the installation on my own(if possible)?
Is this true that you have to send to mutoh the mainboard information?

Thanks in advance again.
Hope you can help me.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I would try to talk to someone higher up at Mutoh. If everything you are saying is true, even if the tech failed to find the problem the first time, the way the machine failed is a manufacturing defect and is covered under the warranty.

The fact that the board caught on fire means there is probably extensive damage to the board and I doubt anyone will be able to fix it.

Installing a new board is pretty straight forward and you should be able to do it with support. Normally you don't have to send any board info or serial numbers to Mutoh for new board installs, however, to be able to use after market Dye Sub inks in a Mutoh you do need a special code to bypass the chip readers. Mutoh usually sells this code for about $1000 but since you bought the machine ready to use with 3rd party inks, I would think your supplier could reuse the code they used to unlock your machine in the first place.

Those are great machines and it's too bad your experience has not been the best. Good luck!

Masseria

VanderJ, Thanks for the fast reply.

I know this are great machines , i have 2xrj900 , 2x1624 and 2x1638..
But this one have been a pain in the ** not because the machine but because of the distributors, to be honest.

Its nice to hear that the only code i've to put in is the ink code (i can ask mutoh for this to the distributor no problem). I think as well that i'd have to align and calibrate few things before starting printing (ink type ,etc), but nothing else right?

Also, The only part that was set on fire was the flat cable coming from the display i think, hope the display is not broken as well.

Also, i've entered your site, im travelling to USA in a month, and i'll be needing some printheads, flat cables,etc. maybe y can but them from you instead of DGP if you have good price. Send me PM if interested!!

Thanks again!