Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing the default font in Illustrator

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by rjpjr, Apr 27, 2010.

1. rjpjr

rjpjr Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Using Illustrator CS3.
    Does anyone know how to change the default font settings?
    Can it be done?

Tags:
  2. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
  3. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    I've often wondered about this in CS2 as well, but holy cow...that's confusing to me.

4. rjpjr

rjpjr Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thanks Eric,

One would think that the help provided WITHIN the program would be sufficient. :banghead:

I should have known this anyway. It is changed exactly the same way as setting color palettes or brushes or ... :banghead::frustrated:

Thanks again Eric :thumb:

5. The Vector Doctor

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    yeah, you can set many defaults other than the font

6. GypsyGraphics

GypsyGraphics Major Contributor

Mar 19, 2009
    For Macintosh
    Save your work and close Illustrator. Open the Finder and then go to Go > Home > Preferences. Look for a folder called Adobe Illustrator settings. In the folder is a file called Adobe Illustrator Prefs. Drag this file to the trash. Empty the trash and restart Illustrator. Reset any custom preferences you want, and when you close Illustrator the preferences file will be regenerated.
    You can also reset Illustrator’s preferences by holding down Shift + Command + Option + Control while opening the program. If you will get a dialog asking if you want to delete the settings folder, say yes. Restart Illustrator. Reset any custom preferences you want, and when you close Illustrator the preferences file will be regenerated.

For Windows
    Save your work and close Illustrator. Double click on My Computer on your desktop and open C:>Documents and Settings > User >Application Data > Adobe > Adobe Illustrator Settings. Inside this folder is a file called AIPrefs. Drag this file to the trash, and restart Illustrator. Reset any custom preferences you want, and when you close Illustrator the preferences file will be regenerated.
    You can also reset Illustrator’s preferences by holding down Shift + Control + Alt while launching the program. If you get a dialog asking if you want to delete the Adobe Illustrator settings folder, click yes to proceed. Restart Illustrator. Reset any custom preferences you want, and when you close Illustrator the preferences file will be regenerated.

7. BlueFishDesigns

BlueFishDesigns Very Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    I hope I'm not being a :thread but I've also been wondering how to keep my PMS color palette on the screen. Everytime I close Illy and open it again, I have to open the PMS color palette again. Not a big deal, but annoying. GypsyGraphics - will your fix work for that?

8. The Vector Doctor

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    AFAIK this resets everything to factory defaults and is not a solution to create your own custom startup

9. royster13

royster13 Very Active Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Montrose BC
  10. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

Dear lord someone please tell me this is possible, it absolutely drives me nuts that it disappears every time you close the program.

11. mikey-Oh

mikey-Oh Very Active Member

Apr 16, 2009
    okc
    there's a little drop down box in the palette window, just check the option persistent

12. BlueFishDesigns

BlueFishDesigns Very Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    Thank you soooo much! I can't believe it was that easy!!! That has been driving me crazy for-EVER!

13. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

omg that was too easy!

14. ddubia

ddubia Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Northeast Ohio
    I'm ready to run back to work and do mine! Never thought it would be that easy.