• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Changing To Mimaki From Roland

Rickey J

Hey everyone! I am tossing around the idea of possibly changing from a Roland XR-640 to Mimaki. I wanted to get some opinions before I do. Looking to purchase a Mimaki MIMAKI UCJV 300 - 130 and MIMAKI JV-300-160 Plus.
Thank you
RJ

bannertime

I don't have either, but I think that's a good idea. It's tough cause those are like the two machines that I wouldn't want. I'd prefer a UJV (UV Inks) without the cutter. Also not sure the "Plus" model is that great unless you need the eco inks.

Rickey J

I don't have either, but I think that's a good idea. It's tough cause those are like the two machines that I wouldn't want. I'd prefer a UJV (UV Inks) without the cutter. Also not sure the "Plus" model is that great unless you need the eco inks.
The UCJV-300 is a UV Printer.

player

As a Roland owner I would definitely look at changing to Mimaki. I have looked at Mimaki videos and their printers appear to be more technically advanced, better thought out, and more robust. Just the cutting features built in are, in my opinion, far superior to Roland.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Yeah, but it's Print/Cut. Much prefer a separate cutter.
The cutting feature on the UCJV is okay - we've had issues with accuracy from the start and so far haven't found a way to print then cut without cropmarks like the Rolands.
95% of the time we cut our UCJV jobs out of Onyx Cut Server on our Summa plotter - this workflow (now that we've gotten the hang of it) works really well and leverages the print speed of the Mimaki and cutting speed/ease of the Summa.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I suggest looking into the Epson 60600. I've ran Mimaki and Roland also and would not go back. Do not recommend Latex either after our experiences. I do not recommend UV unless it is a flatbed either.

player

I suggest looking into the Epson 60600. I've ran Mimaki and Roland also and would not go back. Do not recommend Latex either after our experiences. I do not recommend UV unless it is a flatbed either.
Is it true the Epsons are not printing well on all regular conventional materials?

Rickey J

I personally use both that and Latex. Do you need white ink?
I do need white ink. I am going to be printing on a lot of large engine turn metalized material. But have not pulled the trigger on anything yet and I’m still open to suggestions.

4DPB

Curious Why you don't recommend UV if it isn't flatbed. Also same for Latex. Epson inks are very expensive.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
From what Ive read, the white in the ucjv printer is tough to beat. If I needed white, uv would be my choice.
We got a sample at one of the shows about 2 years ago and stuck it on a window. It’s holding up good.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I'm not sure on your entire range of products, but if you're doing vehicle graphics things aren't flat and the UV doesn't stretch as well as traditional inks.
I researched a lot of printers and we ended up purchasing an Epson 60600 when we were able to pick any we wanted (64").

And in the reply to the other comment about the range of materials, we print on all kinds of substrates with ours.

Owned a Latex 360, it was always broke down (even under warranty), heads always degrading, and couldn't produce consistent colors.

Curious Why you don't recommend UV if it isn't flatbed. Also same for Latex. Epson inks are very expensive.

Sounds like a good move the UCJV is awesome, the LUS 200 ink is very good. its always a good idea to ditch solvent when possible. PS hp latex can be had for cheap, that and a UV print & cut would pair nice. I know that Onyx has been working on UCJV support for a while, Onyx could run both a latex and UCJV.

yannb

Hey everyone! I am tossing around the idea of possibly changing from a Roland XR-640 to Mimaki. I wanted to get some opinions before I do. Looking to purchase a Mimaki MIMAKI UCJV 300 - 130 and MIMAKI JV-300-160 Plus.
Thank you
RJ
I recommend the Epson SC-S80600. Here are some points in favor of it compared to other printers:
- very sharp output, even with bidirectional printing
- deep blacks, widest color gamut of all. Hitting Pantone colors is no problem with standard profiles. Try that with any other brand or printer.
- gloss of media is kept. The ink of a UCJV is matte, and you need a special laminate to reduce the effect of slivering.
- ease of use of maintenance and setup of different media types. 30 memory slots for media types. With Mimaki it’s 4.
- much more silent than a JV300, smells less
- the available media profiles that you can download from Epsons cloud are very good. Gray is neutral.
- you can use your 10th ink slot for white, metallic or a cleaning cartridge, and swap if you want too.
- the ink costs less than standard SS21 ink from Mimaki. It’s even cheaper if you get the 80600L
- WAY less banding issues compared to Mimaki
- the media take up system is a lot better. It only winds up if instructed. Mimaki’s take up system constantly pulls the media

And last but not least: get a demo on all machines you consider of course