• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

changing UV inks

briant1362

We're contemplating "upgrading" from our current ink set (we have a CET with Ricoh heads running 49 Series inks) to another set (60 series) with better adhesion. I've been told that a complete flushing of the system needs to performed b/c the two inks are not compatible...and that flushing the system by the customer (me) isn't recommended. I've been quoted a price to have a tech do this but it is very high. Has anyone done something similar or have any insight into whether this is something that could be performed by the customer? Thanks.

Nameci

Well, if the customer already have enough experience in flushing the ink system, I would say yes and go ahead.

49 and 60 are not compatible at all, so the initial process flow would be to flush the 49 with 49 series flush, also flush the head with it. Then make sure the ink system was emptied out with the 49 series flush. The after that, run the 60 series flush through the system and thru the heads as well. Then empty the whole system again with the 60 flush. Replace the Main ink filters and the last chance filter on the printheads. Put the new ink in, calibrate the voltages and calibrate the heads.

Paying for the tech to perform it is basically a no-brainer if he would warranty for the heads if they are clogged during and days after the changeover. For me ink changeover is pretty scary especially from one ink chem to another, because there is always the chance of clogging the heads even though how remote it is.