Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Channel letter font help

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by signlords, Jan 7, 2019.

1. signlords

signlords Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Florida
    Need to replace 1 letter face and we didnt originally make the sign. Help please! 20181219_102621.jpg

Tags:
  2. shoresigns

shoresigns Very Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Even if I was promised the CNC outlines from the original sign company I would be hesitant to try replacing just the face of a channel letter. Has anyone ever successfully done this?

3. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Put paper on the face and trace the letter...
    Scan and digitize... I feel like I'm missing something because this is pretty much
    everyday problem/solution.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    what happened to the original face?

5. KMC

KMC Graphic Artist

Feb 12, 2018
    Alberta
    we do it all the time and dont have a problem if its not one of ours (just got to remember how much to make it grow for the trim)

exactly you need to get the exact tracing and grow it for the trim etc

i would also take down one of the other letters so you can match the red acrylic face ....BUT if its the only job you are completing for this client i would try and find out who made the original one and get them to ship it to you ready made. if you need to order a full sheet of red acrylic it may be more expensive and time consuming etc

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Robin Canaday

Robin Canaday Mythic Signs Portland - General Manager / Owner

Yes, people replace faces all the time. You might want to advise them that all the faces may need replacing to make the colors match perfectly...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bobby H

Bobby H Very Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    It's pretty difficult to pin down the exact ID of the typeface used for "BAR." It could be an extra-bold variant of Avant Garde or something else. Certain typefaces, such as Futura, have numerous variants from different companies (Adobe, Bitstream, Neufville Digital, etc). None of them are the same! They're all slightly different in various ways, different enough where a replacement face will not line up with the existing letter return properly. You have to have the original art files or you're forced to create a paper pattern and make letter face replacements from that.

Another hazard with channel letter faces: way too often you'll have some hack who created the original sign layout squeeze or stretch the typeface out of its normal proportions. So even if the typeface in question is very obvious you end up having to create a paper pattern from the sign anyway. I personally hate distorted type on signs; it's one of the fastest ways to make a sign design look completely unprofessional.