• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Channel Letter Install only Pricing

KGSignguy

we install our own signs all the time so I know what is involved and how to price for the install, of course when we build our own, we enjoy the profits from the overall job and just figure the install at an hourly rate, I now have to quote a channel letter & raceway install for a franchise who will be providing their own sign built by a national sign company, I will not be enjoying the profits of the entire job so I feel that the standard hourly rate should not apply, there are added liabilities I feel we should charge extra for. Am I crazy or is this justified, is there a standard, if I were to bring my own parts to my mechanic he will charge more to install, is this the same with the sign industry, I know alot of you out there do installs for national companies, any insight would be greatly appreciated, Thanks Kevin

iSign

my rule of thumb in setting a price is to start by knowing what i NEED to make, and then what I perceive the value to be... and to whatever degree possible, to assess the current market value...

but at the end of all that I think about what price I will feel like "damn, my competitor got it for that... I wish I bid that"

and then I think about what price I will feel like "damn, my competitor got it for that? suckka... glad it ain't me givin' it away"

now i know my bid has to fall between those two numbers & the final decision factors in prospective future business, my own cash flow logistics, portfolio or experience value, and the likelihood of other competitive bidders...

Craig Sjoquist

lol Thats about right ... iSign... lol

One good way is charge a hourly fee .. of X amount tell the customer it will fall between X amount and XY amount normally if they give any crying tell them how much insurance is to do this and other expenses like that crane your using and insurance and how safe it is to do this job with proper equipment

Brandon708

Why don't we stick to the rule of no price talking in the open forums. Buy a premium account and talk about it in the premium section.

MikePro

I thought Sign Guys were supposed to HANG together?
bats and 'possums too!

Hourly rate times estimated time times two plus overhead plus the cost of replacing one of the signs when the heads snap off your drywall screws and the sign falls off the building...and then use tapcons

Locals Find!

Why don't we stick to the rule of no price talking in the open forums. Buy a premium account and talk about it in the premium section.

The Sales, Marketing, Pricing Forum doesn't show up to anyone who isn't a member. Fred took care of that a while back. So its ok to talk about pricing because, its not going to be viewed by the General Public.

KGSignguy

Thanks for SOME of those replies but I wasn't looking for a price or a pricing formula, I was asking if it is standard to charge more than your normal install rate if you are installing a franchise sign made by another company, I know what I would charge had I made the sign myself (again, I've already made my money on the sign itself)
this is just an install.

I guess I don't want to overcharge them, and I also don't want to short myself.

Malkin

Yes, while we don't do those kind of installs, anytime we do install only work for a franchise I budget a little higher on the labor time that for our own stuff.

You have a valid point that is often purposely overlooked by those franchise places when they "offer" a certain $$ for the job.

petrosgraphics

have they sent you a spec sheet..... all info you need should be there....

if not, request what you may need.... last, and most important, if you can, survey

the site, inside and out, this will give you everything you need......

you did not build it, but you are installing it as if it your own job.....

remember, if it is done right, it can lead to more wholesale work......

all your time, survey and install should be priced to your hourly rate....

Sounds to me like certain people shouldn't even be mixed up in this kind of work, but then we have some backward states. I sure hope National Sign Companies still look for references rather than stay focused on the bottomline

Some things should just be very, Elementary, if this is YOUR line of work.

iSign

Thanks for SOME of those replies but I wasn't looking for..

quit yer kevetchin' ...you walk in a room full of people & start a conversation... if other people converse, take what you can use & ignore the rest... people here talk about what they want to talk about, knowing more then just you is listening, and that a lot of times the person doing the asking needs to hear things he doesn't know enough to ask... either way threads never get limited to what the original post is looking for.. so you might as well get used to it...

...and I'm sure you're welcome for SOME of the thanks you're doling out...