Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Channel letter learing

Discussion in 'Electric Signs & Channel Letters' started by long Liu, Feb 12, 2020.

1. long Liu

long Liu New Member

Feb 11, 2020
    10007 ne 12th st apt 107
    can anyone send me some link how you make(or cut) channel letter back(0.063 aluminum)?

really appreciate
    Long

Tags:
  2. Z SIGNS

Z SIGNS Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Trenton NJ
    jig saw, band saw, cnc router.
    Acm seems to be popular for the backs

3. long Liu

long Liu New Member

Feb 11, 2020
    10007 ne 12th st apt 107
    Thanks. Z

I have some trouble to cut the 0.063 aluminum back. It gets bend to easy. I have a Shapeoko xxl, but it is hard to cut the soft aluminum.

Would ACM good for outdoor channel letters? What would be a good thickness.

long

4. Z SIGNS

Z SIGNS Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Trenton NJ
    3mm

5. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    063 should be relatively easy to cut through, assuming you have a misting unit. What RPM, cutting speed, and bit diameter are you using?

6. Krissy Louderback

Krissy Louderback Member

Aug 5, 2019
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I have a Techno CNC. I cut aluminum with no misting system. I use a 1/4" bit in 2 passes. 100 ipm at 18000 rpms. We spray glue the aluminum down to a sheet of coro before cutting.

7. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Wow, that's a first for me. Not that its a bad thing, but that sounds like one brute force way to do it. Have you tried cutting at 50ipm and doing it in a single pass? Additionally, I find I have better cuts when using a smaller diameter bit, but without misting, I'm not sure an 1/8" bit could handle all the extra heat. Obviously it doesn't sound like you're needing any help cutting, just thought I'd throw out my 2 cents.
    I'll run one flute upcut bit 1/8" belin, 60ipm at 18000rpm with a misting unit spraying koolmist on .040-.090". The only reason I'm going at 60 is the router doesn't like to behave consistently beyond that. Cutting 1/8" at the same speed and feed, just two passes, the first at .035 deep, the second all the way.

8. Krissy Louderback

Krissy Louderback Member

Aug 5, 2019
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I do it in 2 passes since I don't have a misting system. I'm sure I could get away with 1 pass, but I know the 2 passes work, and if it ain't broke....
    Most things I rout (with the exception of colorcore) anywhere from 100-140 ipm and I do a minimum of 2 passes depending on the thickness of material. That where I find I get the best results.
    I haven't tried an 1/8" bit on aluminum, with most channels letters being large I haven't found it necessary and why risk breaking a bit. I am self taught, so I'm quite sure there are things I can improve on, but through trial and error, broken bits and ruined materials, I've gotten to a point where things are working pretty well. Maybe if our clients didn't wait until the last possible second to place an order and put all sorts of unreasonable expectations on us I'd have more time to play :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Martin Denton

Martin Denton Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Manchester, UK
    In the UK we tend to use 10mm foamex for the backboard if front-lit, or 5 mm acrylic if halo lit

10. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I hear ya! I can't help but offer advice, but I agree, if it ain't broke. If you are looking for a cheap misting solution that's as simple as they come, look at these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Noga-10974-MC1700-MINI-COOL-KIT/dp/B005P07TSQ - mister
    https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Mist-Concentrated-Coolant-Container/dp/B00H9P12HE - fluid
    https://www.amazon.com/4inch-Normally-Closed-Electric-Solenoid/dp/B00ON8XFSO - electronic control (not necessary unless you want the mister to be automated... Pretty simple to set up if the machine has outputs for it, which most do.
    I rigged this setup with a water bottle for a reservoir, because I don't need much and wanted to keep it closer to the spindle, so I didn't have a lot of room. Also, why have 1/2 gal sloshing around on the machine when you don't need all the extra weight on the gantry.
    I am curious, how much work is it to get the coroplast off of the 063 after its cut?

• Like Like x 1
  11. long Liu

long Liu New Member

Feb 11, 2020
    10007 ne 12th st apt 107
    If I am using 1/8 cutter, 10000rpm, do you have any suggestion to feed rate and cut depth? i really need to learn this, i just ruined one cutter.

thanks Long

12. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    warping comes from rapid heating/cooling of routing, and the linear pressure of your bit pressing against the metal.
    as others have stated, a misting system is ideal for cutting aluminum BUT you also, at the very least, could add an air sprayer if you don't want to afford a coolant/oil system. The rapid expansion of air coming out of the nozzle tip, concentrated on your router bit, will help keep your tool & the aluminum cool enough to cleanly cut .063 aluminum.... adding a coolant/lubricant is just the cherry on top.

also, avoid cutting with the 1/8" bit. They break often. I use it to drill/detail corners but the majority of my aluminum cuts are with my 1/4" aluminum upcut bit.

you may also have issues with tool longevity, because you're introducing glue to your route. that glue gets gummed up on the router bit, and causes more friction as you're cutting, which causes more heat. recommended you keep a bottle of adhesive remover handy and occasionally pause your route to clean the bit as you notice this happening.

13. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    At 10,000 rpm, you could run through .063 in one pass at around 30 inches per minute, with a misting system. Without one, you may need to run it much slower or do multiple passes, but on a 063 sheet with a .125 bit, cutting half way through will actually yield more friction total, due to the bit grinding on the bottom edge, so cutting through in one pass gives you a maximum surface area engagement of 0.025in^2, but half way through would give you .025in^2 on each pass, so no added benefit and double the miles on the bit.
    To simulate a misting system, you can either get a spray bottle full of alcohol, dial the nozzle until it shoots a stream, and spray the bit every other second. Or a can of wd40, but that can get costly quick. Do this and see if it doesn't make everything work better, then bring the idea to the boss man and get him to put some money into it. You don't need a $1,500 misting unit if you are just cutting thin stuff for channel letters...
    Find a misting system like this one:https://www.amazon.com/Noga-10974-MC1700-MINI-COOL-KIT/dp/B005P07TSQ and a small air compressor and run it constantly, or by manual on/off, and you will be able to cut much quicker with fewer ruined bits.

14. long Liu

long Liu New Member

Feb 11, 2020
    10007 ne 12th st apt 107
    this is too expensive for me, thanks for the advising.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  15. MikePro

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    o_O welcome to signs101 i guess...

16. long Liu

long Liu New Member

Feb 11, 2020
    10007 ne 12th st apt 107
    thanks
    long

17. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Do it the easy way and get an Accubend

18. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    They make an Accubend that cuts backs now?!

Honestly Long, you'd probably do best to use ACM for your backs instead of aluminum. 3mm does fine, but you have to rivet/screw the returns to the backs because clinchers/staplers don't work so well on the thicker material. Surely you do not have any issues cutting ACM?
    Do check that you are following UL guidelines on electronic enclosures, some inspectors let it go and others consider it a fire hazard, kindly frustrating when UL is was created to establish some sort of consistency within manufacturing...

19. MikePro

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    ballin' on a budget, you could always just put your pattern on a sheet of .063" aluminum and cut it with a nibbler attachment for your power drill.

20. long Liu

long Liu New Member

Feb 11, 2020
    10007 ne 12th st apt 107
    thanks