• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Channel letter quoting

skyhigh

Hey I am pretty new to Channel letter signs
You then go on to say.......
Lol I scanned the noob section oh this forum for a while before posting and gathered there are a lot of high horse purple here who jump to conclusions. I know a lot about channel letters I am simply admitting I do not know if there is an industry accepted standard for pricing per sq inch or etc.

Your only saving grace is...... we have slim saying more "high horse purple" things than you.
(this isn't a reference to anything "My Lil Pony" is it???)

Set up a sting. Started quoting much too low. Still lost them. Well, one job came along for maybe $3,900. I bid $390.00. Lost it, but the mall manager later told me I could no longer bid in this mall.

So they didn't let you have the $3900 job for $390??????
Guess you were dealing with some real masterminds, huh? :rolleyes:

Hop1022

Help, if you would please...?

I am a little skeptical to jump into this wolves den .. but my boss asked if I could get some advice on pricing for channel lettering installation. Details are as follows ... 96 total letters, 15" tall and the install is on the outside of an outdoor gym wall, 25-30 feet high. Please make my 1st experience the best, and like no other ... pretty please? !!! MK :wink:

signlords

Lol indeed I was voice to texting from my phone. So the high horse purple may be a little pony or unicorn. As for the other comments I am new to bidding them. Does not mean that I have never encountered them, done maintenance on them, and that like any diligent tech I did extensive research before I ever touched one. We only recently secured some good sources and have started bidding on channel letter jobs from scratch. As for Marlene's questions we are outsourcing they are high quality UL listed LED channel letters that is all we have used thus far. Nothing neon, and we don't seek out cheapest stuff available. My confusion on the other shop's pricing is in one sign they bid at roughly $4/sq inch and on the second sign by my math $1.25 per sq inch. Just seems odd. And I am quite aware that I did not word my post the way everybody here would have liked. I gave up a long time ago trying to please everyone. I also know asking people to expose their pricing rubrics is not always going to get clear answers. I just want to be sure I am NOT charging too little and degrading the work you/we all do.

J Hill Designs

I am a little skeptical to jump into this wolves den .. but my boss asked if I could get some advice on pricing for channel lettering installation. Details are as follows ... 96 total letters, 15" tall and the install is on the outside of an outdoor gym wall, 25-30 feet high. Please make my 1st experience the best, and like no other ... pretty please? !!! MK :wink:

too little info :thumb:

J Hill Designs

Lol indeed I was voice to texting from my phone. So the high horse purple may be a little pony or unicorn. As for the other comments I am new to bidding them. Does not mean that I have never encountered them, done maintenance on them, and that like any diligent tech I did extensive research before I ever touched one. We only recently secured some good sources and have started bidding on channel letter jobs from scratch. As for Marlene's questions we are outsourcing they are high quality UL listed LED channel letters that is all we have used thus far. Nothing neon, and we don't seek out cheapest stuff available. My confusion on the other shop's pricing is in one sign they bid at roughly $4/sq inch and on the second sign by my math $1.25 per sq inch. Just seems odd. And I am quite aware that I did not word my post the way everybody here would have liked. I gave up a long time ago trying to please everyone. I also know asking people to expose their pricing rubrics is not always going to get clear answers. I just want to be sure I am NOT charging too little and degrading the work you/we all do.

dont worry what others quote.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Start you own thread and keep the two of you separate. Otherwise people won't know to whom they're talking most of the time. :peace!:

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Exactly what J Hill said. However, if you're only acting as a middleman, then I would think a percentage is more along your lines. Trying to figure out how to wiggle your way in between someone doing them from scratch and what you can make on top of a wholesaler, is more than likely gonna bite ya in the butt. No room for anything to go wrong. If you put enough on top, you'll be priced out of the market after 3 bids.

Marlene

we also outsource our channel letters as we aren't a UL shop. we don't sell by the sq inch but by the job using a mark up based on over head, etc. it usually runs about the same as other shops who may be quoting the same job. when there is a huge difference in price, it usually comes down to differences in what is being quoted. fit could be the thickness of the aluminum cans, the plastic used, the LED source and even some times comes down to we quoted serif letters with colored faces, Pantone matched painted cans vs black letters, white faces, stock black cans.

If your a quality custom electric sign shop in the trade here's something that can separate yourself from the Wannabes and hacks who use nothing but cheap chinese components giving them the ability to bid lower when it comes to LED channel Letters, and claim "LED" which translates the end users thinking that "LED is LED...they last a longtime"

Tell your potential client that your signs come with a 5 worry free year electrical warranty that covers all electrical components AND the labor to replace components in that time AND most importantly, the light output will not go below 70% in that time. If you're more confident in your ability to pick components you could even say 80% in that time.

it's hard to compete with the end users ignorance to electric signs and how long products should last, but I find that that warranty is pretty easy to use as a standard for any shop who builds quality because most LED manufacturers claim 60k to 100k hours of operation as well as their power supplies and they will swap out, BUT...it won't be cheap to rent/pay for a bucket or pay a employee for labor to make a switch or from having to completely re-wire/re-retrofit a sign where they choose poorly just to complete up against high quality with them only able to bring low budget, low rent to the table to compete.

There's two parts to quality, components and "know how" installation, it's easy to kill a LED system when not installed right just like it's easy to kill a long life Neon system.

I always gave reference to signs I installed 5-7 years ago for the potentials to look at so they will know how their signs will look in that time. Any seasoned business owner who has been in business long and had to pay for maintenance will really appreciate what a 5 year truly means versus a industry standard 1 year.