• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Channel letter wiring

nolanola

Hello.
What tools and hardware do you use when wiring channel letters?
How do you connect, say, a dozen of wires? Do you use wire nuts? Do you crimp wires and use terminal blocks?

Attachments

• connectors.jpg
    connectors.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 590
  • terminal block.jpg
    terminal block.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 264
  • wire nuts.jpg
    wire nuts.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 274

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'm assuming your talking about 12v DC?

12 is too much... I've seen people do 10 or 12 on one large wire nut and it looks like a sloppy mess. Split it up and make it manageable... I don't like having more then 6.

And on a side note... why are people wrapping lamp sockets with masking tape??

Last edited:

equippaint

12 is too much... I've seen people do 10 or 12 on one large wire nut and it looks like a sloppy mess. Split it up and make it manageable... I don't like having more then 6.
If it's 12v use that terminal block with jumpers or a stud. Terminal blocks really just make diagnosing problems easier. You cant load up 12 wires on a wire nut, even 12v will get hot and start a fire. I'm not real crazy about wire nuts with stranded either but this is out of my AOR. Those stab in connectors banner posted work well if youre doing production work

Devon19515

And on a side note... why are people wrapping lamp sockets with masking tape??

The masking tape on the lamp sockets keeps the bulb from bouncing loose in transport.