Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

channel letters material and tools

Discussion in 'Installation Equipment & Techniques' started by bingo, Oct 26, 2018.

1. bingo

bingo New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Spain
    Hi, I ordered what I thought was aluminium roll for channel letters, my Spanish supplier sent this, does anyone have experience with this? I think the PVC goes below the foam which would be at the bottom. Also can anyone recommend a tool to bend the aluminium to the form of the letters? links appreciated. IMG_20181024_101005.jpg

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    It scares the crap out of me that people are trying to learn how to build and install channel letters from a forum.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    Im totally lost on this post, is that trimcap?...what you need to do sir is sub out all you can and maybe down the road you can do this

4. bingo

bingo New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Spain
    yep thats what i was doing, now is down the road time

5. bingo

bingo New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Spain
    some of us have no other option

6. visual800

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    ok. You would need a 4' finger brake to form the aluminum letters, a router would be excellent for cutting the backs and faces of letters UNLESS you wanna use a jigsaw. you are going to need a notcher also, aluminum rivets, weld on cenent to put that trimcap on faces

7. bingo

bingo New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Spain
    Do you have a recommendation fort a "4' finger brake" I did a quick search and most seem too big for my needs.I it was my intention initially to continue to have the faces and backs cut by a third party, but a router has been on the shopping list for a long time. Thanks for the tips!

8. visual800

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    tennsmith top of the line imo

9. Robbie Moore

Robbie Moore New Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Louisiana
    Until you have all the components I wouldn’t start manufacturing in house. You need a CNC router, accubend machine or another brand to produce the returns, hundreds of magnets, set of knickers and some knowledge on LEDs and wiring.

10. kcollinsdesign

kcollinsdesign Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Normal, Illinois
    You are probably doing 3 or more sets of channel letters/day to be able to make them cheaper than they are available from a wholesaler. By now you should know everything there is to know about making these. I don't understand the post.