• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Chaulking on painted truck

Graphic Solutions

I've got a truck to decorate with cut vinyl & the white original paint is pretty chalky. Does anyone have an opinion regarding whether or not most will come off with denatured alcohol? Or any other comments are welcome.
Thx

Rick in Arizona
602-315-4969

Locals Find!

I've got a truck to decorate with cut vinyl & the white original paint is pretty chalky. Does anyone have an opinion regarding whether or not most will come off with denatured alcohol? Or any other comments are welcome.
Thx

Rick in Arizona
602-315-4969

If the paint is chaulky the paint is failing. I wouldn't stick anything on it. Your just asking for trouble.

S'N'S

I usually do 1 of 2 things, tell the owner to get the paint buffed or tell them I will have to bluff it before I apply the graphics at a cost naturally (I have previously worked in a panel shop, so buffing paint jobs is no big deal). Chalky paint does not mean its failing at all.

TXFB.INS

I usually do 1 of 2 things, tell the owner to get the paint buffed or tell them I will have to bluff it before I apply the graphics at a cost naturally (I have previously worked in a panel shop, so buffing paint jobs is no big deal). Chalky paint does not mean its failing at all.

failing paint is chipping off the vehicle

bottom line DO NOT stick in it's current state

Billct2

Agree, it needs to be thoughly cleaned, and since I'm not a former body guy I usually suggest they have it buffed
by a detailer

klingsdesigns

I have had to take many vehicles to a buffer because of this. The customer is always happy with final product. Makes the paint look new. Make sure they just buff it and not wax it.

OldPaint

all you really need to do......IS WASH IT PROPERLY)))) i prefer they take it to a real HAND WASH car wash, but i have done a few like this. specially if its only 2 doors or small panels. i use this stuff called PURPLE POWER.
NOW...the trick is how to mix it with water.
right outa the gallon..........this stuff will take off any soft paint. so you dont want that. i would get a bucket with a gallon of water, add 3-6 ounces of PURPLE POWER to it...then wash the door with that.......after it drys..........see if there is any more chalking paint. if there is wash again with a soft brush.......that should get rid of all the dead paint. i dont think its safe enough to wipe down with 91% alcohol either as this will further soften whats left of the paint. tell the client the lettering will probably outlast the paint )))))))))
if its a VAN OR BOX TRUCK....way to much for me to wash...as i tell clients....
i charge as much to wash a vehicle as i do to letter it...........they usually will have it washed PROFESSIONALLY before they bring it to me....at that price))))

BobM

I have washed those type panels with Rapid Prep to remove the caulking problem. Usually takes two applications.

Billct2

The only problem with cleaning only the area to be lettered on a vehicle with an oxidized finish is the rest of the car will look like crap. So just let the customer know this and give them the option to get it cleaned first and it'll look like they bought a new vehicle.