Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chaulking on painted truck

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Graphic Solutions, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Graphic Solutions

Graphic Solutions New Member

Aug 3, 2011
    I've got a truck to decorate with cut vinyl & the white original paint is pretty chalky. Does anyone have an opinion regarding whether or not most will come off with denatured alcohol? Or any other comments are welcome.
    Thx

Rick in Arizona
    602-315-4969

Tags:
  2. Locals Find!

Locals Find! Very Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Myers
    If the paint is chaulky the paint is failing. I wouldn't stick anything on it. Your just asking for trouble.

3. S'N'S

S'N'S Active Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Australia
    I usually do 1 of 2 things, tell the owner to get the paint buffed or tell them I will have to bluff it before I apply the graphics at a cost naturally (I have previously worked in a panel shop, so buffing paint jobs is no big deal). Chalky paint does not mean its failing at all.

4. TXFB.INS

TXFB.INS Very Active Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Lone Star State

failing paint is chipping off the vehicle

bottom line DO NOT stick in it's current state

5. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Agree, it needs to be thoughly cleaned, and since I'm not a former body guy I usually suggest they have it buffed
    by a detailer

6. klingsdesigns

klingsdesigns Very Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I have had to take many vehicles to a buffer because of this. The customer is always happy with final product. Makes the paint look new. Make sure they just buff it and not wax it.

7. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

all you really need to do......IS WASH IT PROPERLY)))) i prefer they take it to a real HAND WASH car wash, but i have done a few like this. specially if its only 2 doors or small panels. i use this stuff called PURPLE POWER.
    NOW...the trick is how to mix it with water.
    right outa the gallon..........this stuff will take off any soft paint. so you dont want that. i would get a bucket with a gallon of water, add 3-6 ounces of PURPLE POWER to it...then wash the door with that.......after it drys..........see if there is any more chalking paint. if there is wash again with a soft brush.......that should get rid of all the dead paint. i dont think its safe enough to wipe down with 91% alcohol either as this will further soften whats left of the paint. tell the client the lettering will probably outlast the paint )))))))))
    if its a VAN OR BOX TRUCK....way to much for me to wash...as i tell clients....
    i charge as much to wash a vehicle as i do to letter it...........they usually will have it washed PROFESSIONALLY before they bring it to me....at that price))))

8. BobM

BobM Very Active Member

May 31, 2008
    Cape Cod
    I have washed those type panels with Rapid Prep to remove the caulking problem. Usually takes two applications.

9. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    Wash with soft scrub and rinse throughly. Paint not fading it just old

10. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    The only problem with cleaning only the area to be lettered on a vehicle with an oxidized finish is the rest of the car will look like crap. So just let the customer know this and give them the option to get it cleaned first and it'll look like they bought a new vehicle.