• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cheap channel letters?

juan45215

Anybody familar with these? I had another shop beat my channel letter quote by 50% with one of these.
I think some people call them cloud signs.

Attachments

• cloud sign.jpg
    cloud sign.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 103

MikePro

i'd love to get beat at a place like that :)

seriously though, i still call it a channel letter. just a BIG one.
a single unit will most likely be cheaper, as its quicker on all ends of the project, but to be beat by 50% at the same scale is still rough.

we always offer both. chicks dig options.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
A lot of city's view that type of sign as a cabinet, and many cities do not allow cabinet signs. You can not compete with that sign if you are calling out individual channel letter. If that cabinet sign is allowed, I would follow MikePro's suggestion and give them 2 options.

MikePro

A lot of city's view that type of sign as a cabinet
o man, yeah you're right. well, or maybe only if it has an internal power supply? ijdk
wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong again, as i think after 8 years staring at a trim cap table has my brain fried when it comes to channel letters :)

its now the only word that comes to mind when i see a trim capped face. lol well that, and Weld-On

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
o man, yeah you're right. well, or maybe only if it has an internal power supply? ijdk
wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong again, as i think after 8 years staring at a trim cap table has my brain fried when it comes to channel letters :)

its now the only word that comes to mind when i see a trim capped face. lol well that, and Weld-On

We have one city here in particular (Irvine, CA) that requires individual letters and logos with empty areas to be cut out so you see the wall. On intricate logos where I made a "cloud sign", they insisted it was a cabinet and would not permit the sign. it does not stop me from trying if the client wants to try. The only place I have been able to permit the "cloud sign" in that city was at their retail areas where the signs tend to be small... but I usually have to do some back and forth with them.

I could be wrong too, I have also made cabinets with external power supplies where the shop guys called it a cabinet. To me when a graphic is encircled within a shape, I call it a cabinet. But I only had to stare at a shop/fab table for about a year...

Moze

Those jut-out type fascias are typically easily accessible from the back, so the electrical should be a piece of cake. The competitor is likely illuminating with LED's due to the shape, which makes for fast and easy illumination...he might even be using a cheap cheap cheap LED to keep costs down. It likely would have self-contained power supplies (again, easy hook-up). The shape of the cabinet would be easy to channel and trimcap...especially if the competitor is using .040 returns and backs.

Just a few ideas of how he might be coming in at such a lower price.

Do you do your own estimates?

...and I agree with Rick. Typically, if a sign isn't a letter or number, it's a shape...and typically shapes are classified in ordinances as cabinets - even if they are manufactured as a channel letter.

Last edited:

visual800

That is one tacky layout, no reflection on you.

As far as cloud signs yes Ill do them also. You pull up to storefront throw cabinet on wall screw it and your done, basically. I dont see a damn thing wrong with them. Some are visible look good and compliment the logo.

The one below is one we did not too long ago, Pat Whatley did the logo. However I didnt save 50% under individual channel letters but it was a good bit less expensive and the time you save is no comparison to installing channel letters. If they are done right I think they look fine.

Attachments

• money.jpg
    money.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 84

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not sure what to call it, but haven't I seen that girl on just about every mudflap from here to California ??

Slamboni

Custom Cabinet

This is what's referred to in neon shops as a custom cabinet. Same scope of work as one channel letter, unless they can run flourescent bulbs in strips then they don't have to bend glass.

Someone will still have to bend trimcap and shape the walls out. I haven't seen anywhere cheap online to order this kind of thing.

You will probably have to go to a local electrical signage contractor and they'll throw the job to one o their newer sales people while they bang out reverse channel letters for strip malls that they've written themselves into the sign criteria for.

Marlene

that is one ugly sign.

it comes in cheaper than individual channel letters but it doesn't mean it's cheaply made. it is cheaper to install as it is all self contained and goes up in one piece. they may have been able to come in cheaper as there is less labor to make one big thing rather than to make individual cans with faces. plus they didn't spend much time on the design as it does look like that mud flap girl with some awful looking copy plunked around her on a horrid color combo.