• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cheaper version of the Sooper Edge Ruler

nikdoobs

SOOPER-EDGE1.gif

Anyone know if this exists? I'd like to get one around 52" but I don't really want to pay $90-$100 bucks for one.

C

ColoPrinthead

ou can save maybe 5 or 10 bucks getting one that is just aluminum, but I find the steal edge worth the extra money.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
You do get what you pay for.... we have a cheap one around here. It does not have the stainless steel cutting edge, knife occasionally digs into the aluminum and whatnot.

John Butto

I have a purple Sooperedge with the stainless steel edge and the low priced one from Speedpress and I cannot tell the difference except for the less money in my wallet from the purple one.

ProWraps

wow! thats a great deal on that one from uscutter.

we have several sooper edge rulers and they have served us very well. sadly we have dropped them so many times we keep having to file the edges down. our fault, not theirs. they have worked great. the steel bead on the edge is way better than the one we had without it. the knife would bite into the ruler on the one without it.

even at the price of the sooper edge, its worth every penny.

the only problem i have with the sooper edges we have is that i think they are only 52". i would love to get one that was the full 54". or even a 56" so that you didnt have to just barely get edge to edge.

edit: that us cutter one comes in 55". i just ordered 3 of them.

401Graphics

Good thread. This was my next tool to buy. been using the back of a "Big Squeegee" for a couple years. Time for something that has a perfectly straight edge.
Thanks for the link fatcat!

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
its worth it. the down time of slicing you finger is effing priceless.
TIP:
does the edge of your ruler destroy your blades?
does the xacto jump up in the middle of cutting and try to take your fingers off?
FIX!!!!
i did this because after three years of abusing my purple ruler, i figured i might be able to save it and not order a new one.
WARNING:
do this at your own risk. i am responsible for myself, not you. nor does this work for "Everybody"

take ruler to the tablesaw with the crappy edge and have it face the blade. if you were ripping wood the long way, butt up the guide edge to the back of the ruler and make sure the ruler touches both sections, (blade and back of ruler.)

pull out the ruler and turn on the saw.
rip the ruler and smooth out the edge, slowly
. just enough to remove the nicks that the xacto blade was jumping into.
works for me!
-mosher:peace!:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Safety rulers are fine if, and only if, the surface upon which you use them is absolutely perfectly flat. These rulers are rigid and will not conform to even the tiniest of irregularities on the cutting surface. I have a couple of them and, for the most part, they remain hanging on the wall. I vastly prefer 2" wide rules available at any drywall supply. A collection of 3', 4', 6', and 8' rules can be had for about half the price of one modestly sized safety rule. Apply pieces of no-skid rug pads to the back with banner tape and they stay right where you put them and they conform to any irregularities on the cutting surface.

I learned a long time ago what not to step in and not to cut my fingertips off. Your mileage may vary, you may be a slow learner.

ProWraps

Safety rulers are fine if, and only if, the surface upon which you use them is absolutely perfectly flat. These rulers are rigid and will not conform to even the tiniest of irregularities on the cutting surface. I have a couple of them and, for the most part, they remain hanging on the wall. I vastly prefer 2" wide rules available at any drywall supply. A collection of 3', 4', 6', and 8' rules can be had for about half the price of one modestly sized safety rule. Apply pieces of no-skid rug pads to the back with banner tape and they stay right where you put them and they conform to any irregularities on the cutting surface.

I learned a long time ago what not to step in and not to cut my fingertips off. Your mileage may vary, you may be a slow learner.

work perfectly fine for us and our tables are warped. its amazing what a few pounds of downward pressure can accomplish.

gabagoo

I agree about the flat surface as I have a couple of these aluminum safety rulers and see they don't bend with the table. Like yours they stay hooked to the wall for the most part. I still use my 48" straight edge I bought 25 years ago. I think it is stainless steel and adjusts to most uneven surfaces.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
While I know what you're saying and agree 100% with you, someone in my position has to act/react differently and perhaps this is the reason for these tools.

When acting alone or a one-man shop, one can do anything as they please and see fit. They only have to answer to themselves should something go wrong. However, when you have employees, it becomes a different story and you will always be the blame. If you don't get for your employees those things which make their job easier, safer and more efficient, you could be awarded the 'A$$hole award of the decade. It's much like getting something for around the house. You see the logic and proper price tag behind the smart choice, but the salesman comes over and says to you..... isn't the little lady worth it ?? Ya mean you're going to make her do this and that for a measly X amount of dollars ?? You're gonna deny her that ?? Then you see the daggers coming out of her eyes.

I still remember when my old insurance man was at the house giving his spiel and I said, I can't afford that plan, I'll take this one, instead. Aw man... the sh!t really hit the fan then. He started in on me and had a whole speech ready for my kinda decision. He was good. After he was finished and my wife was waiting for me to sign, I said, ya know what, I think I'm gonna do this super duper plan, but I'm going to ask the guy from Nationwide to show me the same thing. I liked him better and besides, he didn't stare at my wife's t!ts they way you did. That was the last we saw of him and the Nationwide guy was told what plan I wanted before he came, so he didn't end up the same way. :wink:

phototec

FatCat

OK, USCutter better be sending me a commission check due to the jump in sales of these things. Lol. :Big Laugh

Christian @ 2CT Media

On the USCUTTER rulers... check them over thoroughly, we ordered 10 of them and half of them were twisted beyond usable. USCUTTER is a great company and sent replacements no questions asked, we boxed up the twisted ones and sent them back.

While I'm on the subject... the Mando Cutting ruler is awesome for PVC, ACM, and Coroplast.