• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

check foil problem

robbie walton

My edge is very temperamental at the moment.Within seconds of starting a print, the machine mangles the vinyl and an error message to check foil is displayed. I notice that sometimes the foil burns through at the point of error. Some prints get further than others, with an average of about 100mm printing before the error occurs. It only happens with some foils (gerber and not)
The machine is not doing a warm up as it used to, which I think might be the root of the problem.
Someone from Spandex here suggested I re run firmware. Before I run firmware I would like to check a few things first. Is there a warm up sensor, switch, fuse or connection in the machine that I can inspect, clean or reset. Have reset machine with no luck. Any ideas?

CBurr

With the edge offline press the setup key until you get to TH DISPLAY, use the vinyl slew button to turn it on, press offline and then online. Your display should now have 3 sets of numbers. The set of numbers on the right is the printhead temp in C.The edge needs to be at 25 before it prints. The temperature sensor is part of the printhead and can not be replaced by itself.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Not doing a warm up at all seems strange but shouldn't cause the material to bind.

The first thing I would do is clean the sprockets and shaft on the Edge and apply 2 drops of sewing machine oil or silicone spray on the back/slideable sprocket.

That needs to slide with extreme ease; if not it will bind up the material.

Craig Perry

some good point there.. also check the media punching, could be out, test it with a edge ready roll of media. also check the bail arm, there are 2 'arms' at each end of the bail arm that cover the sprockets, check these have not broken off..

Phenom555

Also, you might try checking the amount of foil that has already been used. I have had the same problem with 100 yd foils from Zeronine. Sometimes, not always, after 3/4 of the foil has been used, the edge has a hard time "pulling" the rest of the foil. Cut, the foil, unroll all of the used foil, and re-attach the remaining foil. This has solved my problem every time. I hope this helps you.

signage

Lets us know what you have found to be the problem for future persons looking through search! TIA

Lindsay

My edge is very temperamental at the moment.Within seconds of starting a print, the machine mangles the vinyl and an error message to check foil is displayed. I notice that sometimes the foil burns through at the point of error. Some prints get further than others, with an average of about 100mm printing before the error occurs. It only happens with some foils (gerber and not)
The machine is not doing a warm up as it used to, which I think might be the root of the problem.
Someone from Spandex here suggested I re run firmware. Before I run firmware I would like to check a few things first. Is there a warm up sensor, switch, fuse or connection in the machine that I can inspect, clean or reset. Have reset machine with no luck. Any ideas?

Robbie I see your in Australia. I'm in Melbourne, and during the hot weather recently my Edge 2 didn't need to warm up at all. The room temperature was already above 25C. Maybe that's why yours wasn't warming up.

B Snyder

some good point there.. also check the media punching, could be out, test it with a edge ready roll of media.

I'm thinking this is the culprit too. Fold your vinyl over and make sure the holes from each side line up with each other. I've had a roll or two of Gerber's "Edge Ready" vinyl that was punched wrong.