• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Checking memory?

showcase 66

Is there a way to check to see if the memory in my one computer is going bad or has gone bad. My one computer has 4gb of memory in but it is only registering 3gb. I have 2-2gb DDR2.

I know I can take out one stick and see if the other is reading as 2gb and then the other, but want toe know if there is another way.

Thanks

jiarby

pop them all out... replace just one and boot, then swap out until you boot off each one individually.

CPUz will read your slots and ID which module is in which slot.

showcase 66

pop them all out... replace just one and boot, then swap out until you boot off each one individually.

CPUz will read your slots and ID which module is in which slot.

ya that is they way I know how to check them. Just was curious about another way where I wouldnt have to do that right now.

But it was what I am doing right now.

AUTO-FX

hmm. My system has 4 installed but shows only 3.5.
I had the understanding that, like stated above, a OS below 7 couldnt use more than that.

showcase 66

My new one had 8 and I just added 4 more today. My other computer is going to be just for my kids. To keep them off mine and my wifes. Only having the 2 gb is not a big deal just wanted to see if it is bad or if something else.

choucove

It's not really a matter of whether it's Windows XP or Windows 7 that you can only recognize less than 4 GB if you have more installed, it's a matter of if it is a 64-bit version of that operating system or not. More than 99% of the Windows XP systems out there are 32-bit meaning no more than around 3 GB of RAM while a great number of Windows 7 systems are 64-bit so they can recognize more.

Generally if there is a reason to suspect that a stick of RAM might be faulty, I will run a scan or two of Memtest 86+. You can download a free ISO online which you can burn as a bootable CD and just let it run its check. However, sometimes Memtest can be tricky and won't detect a RAM error unless you test one stick at a time in the primary DIMM (usually DIMM 1A)

If you can boot into BIOS, I would recommend checking to see how much RAM is visible in the BIOS. It would also help to know which operating system you are using, as well as if you have a dedicated graphics card or if it is integrated. If your system was registering and showing in the system properties that you had 4 GB of fully usable and a stick of memory either became unseated or completely died, then you should be getting a message that you only have 2 GB of usable RAM since you have 2 sticks of 2 GB ea. If it's showing that 3 GB of RAM is usable then it could be that an update installed for a driver or Windows which modified it to hide some of the RAM that is automatically allocated for the system such as RAM used for an integrated graphics card.