• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Chinese take up rollers

Milestone

Has anybody had any experience with the take up rollers for digital printers from China?
The price is more than half off and very tempting, and feedback is appreciated.

Thank-you,
Chris

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We've had ours for ~3 years. While we don't use it every day, it still works the same as day one, and at 25% the cost of a Roland setup, we're very happy.

signbrad

American manufacturers might like you to believe that everything made in China is junk, but such a generalization is not based on fact. To a great extent, Chinese manufacturers make exactly what we design. They produce high quality if we tell them to. If an American company wants to cheapen a product, the Chinese can do that, too. That's why you may have the same plastics factory in China producing the same food containers for both the US and the European Market, but to two different standards: a cheaper version for the US market and a version without contaminants for Europe.
Chinese manufacturing has access to the most up-to-date equipment and techniques available. In addition to manufacturing muscle, they have flexibility and nimbleness in production that is hard to match. That's why your iPhone is made there and not in the US.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2090708/Why-iPhone-China-America.html

Are Chinese takeup rollers better or worse than OEM? The only way to know is by using them. Or talking to someone else who has bought them. So your posting the question here is a good idea. You can't rely on "testimonials" posted online, such as on Amazon or other sites. How many of these are planted?

I like to ride, but...

I know of only one bicycle brand that is still made in the US, in Florida. It is okay. Not the best, not the worst. The best bicycles are not made here.

Cheaper bicycle parts are often made with softer metals machined to looser tolerances. The teeth on a sprocket will round off quicker. Tuneups will not hold as long. But the purchase price will be lower.
If you seldom ride, a cheap bike is probably fine. If you use a bike for commuting to work, you need to spend the money for quality.
On the other hand, at least a portion of the price for high end bicycles is to gain weight loss, a moot issue for most consumers, only important to competitors or pros or wannabees. And at least some part of a high end price is the name brand.
I have owned mostly Fujis. They used to be made in Japan. Now they are made in China, Poland and Taiwan. The quality has always fit my needs. The bicycle police here ride Fujis with no Fuji labels. The just say POLICE. If you look in a police equipment catalog, you will see bikes with the Smith & Wesson brand. They are Fujis.

Of course, a takeup roller is not a bicycle. But I guess the point I'm making is that WHERE something is made is not a real indicator of anything.

Brad, rambling in Kansas City

kanini

We have one for an SP-540i and it has worked very well. We do however put a clock timer on it to shut off after the printing is finished so it saves on the motors and slip clutch.

Gene@mpls

Thank you sir to Brad, I have been remodeling a Chinese laser for 6 months and can appreciate your comments. The basic machine is very solid and has the correct 'bones' to do the job (all of which you can specify) but the fit and finish are really lacking. I think that if the final inspection will be theirs rather than the vendors it makes a huge difference. They are very capable but you must insist (i.e. pay for) upon excellence. Gene

player

I bought one and it didn't work correctly. May have just been the unit, but I opted for a Supply55 version after returning the Chinese one.

reQ

I bought one and it didn't work correctly. May have just been the unit, but I opted for a Supply55 version after returning the Chinese one.
I am 99.9% sure that Supply55's roller is simply rebranded chinese roller.

reQ

I think so too... They service and stock parts for them though.
Another proof that its all about service. Piece of equipment might be super cheap compare to local dealer but when it brakes you might end up with a brick.

player

Another proof that its all about service. Piece of equipment might be super cheap compare to local dealer but when it brakes you might end up with a brick.

I agree, but you can buy 2 or 3 Chinese units for the cost of one Supply55 take-up...