• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Chiseled

onesource

I had a Saturday with nothing to do so I chiseled out futura bold and it looks good I need to finish the numbers. I dont have a font program so I will just pull the letters I need when I use them from the file.
Trading out some chiseled fonts to build a chiseled list would be a good thought.
Any input?

iSign

interesting idea, if I understand it correctly. I'd bet most of us have never hand vectorized a chisel font to trade though.

I did my own prismatic effect on a few characters of Avant Garde for my logo, but I never went on to finish the alphabet.

Rastorized bevel effects have been there forever, but I think vectorized chisel effects are easier now, if you have the tools & a little practice using them (which I don't) I think I recall hearing that signlab & even corel have some pretty good tools to assist in doing that sort of thing.

Now that you have the hard part done, I'd bet you could at least trade the use of your chiseled Futura characters to someone who could run it through their program and make it a font for you. (Steve C?)

onesource

Yeah I can do it in flexi also but I used corel. I am pretty quick with corel since I've used it since the 3rd verion back in 93

iSign

did you just figure out on your own exactly where you wanted vector paths & then create them yourself... or was there some kind of tool where you select a character & click on some "chisel-it" wizard?

...being an old-school guy, I figured you're talkin' hand vectorized from your own imagination... but my mention of corel was related to some wizard type feature I think came out more recently (might have just been in signlab though?)

Steve C.

The Bevel (Chisel) effect in Corel makes chisels in raster images and I don't
know if it can be converted to vector other that tracing it by hand. If you
wish to create a font from your chisel tracings, it can be done using Corel.

I learned to do it by reading the instructions in the Corel Manuel.
Basically, you set up a page that you can export vector images from into
a ttf file. It is way too complicated for me to describe here. And doing
a Chisel Font is even more complicated.

Shovelhead

For those that don't know how.....

:signs101:

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 152

onesource

AS above by Shovel Head
No special tool , freehand tool, shape tool and trim tool
Created the paths where I wanted them and trimed then added to the duplicate letter. It's pretty quick to do, the rounded letters are a little slower to do but not much.
Here are a few I was messing with after finishing, you can open PhotoPaint and chisel for the lighting effect then draw the vector accordingly.
I have about 3 hours in the alphabet.
I put a little twist to the chisels with graphics, thought it was cool

Attachments

• CHISELED.jpg
    CHISELED.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 141

onesource

Thanks Steve
I have to do some fine tuning and it will be ready for use.
I think I'm going to hand letter some of my scripts, blocks and casuals and get them to working form.
For some reason I've became interested in this.

Pat Whatley

Corel used to include a basic font editing tool. You could very easilly turn vector art into fonts (converting it to a GOOD font involves a good bit of time dealing with kerning issues)